Check Engine Light/Details of tuneup recommended by mechanic

bendbullock

:
Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
I have a 2007 Mazda3 2.0L w/ 71,000 miles and have been experiencing a rough idle. Eventually the check engine light came on. I had a mechanic run a diagnostic test and code P0300 came back (random misfire). Upon further inspection, he recommended I replace these items:

Crank position sensor
4 spark plugs
Valve cover gasket
Variable timing solenoid

The first and last items were claimed the culprits of setting off the check engine light. As well, he mentioned the sensor was covered in oil (I believe this is what he said; he stated one of these items had a lot of oil around it)

Total repair cost: $690 (in Chicago)

Does this seem reasonable?

Last edited:
I'm assuming the valve cover gasket had a leak and leaked onto the spark plugs and sensors? The parts alone are only about $200 or so. So the labor seems a bit high to me. I could do all that myself in under and hour. $500 for an hour of labor is a lot.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not that well versed in the mechanics of a car, so I'm not entirely sure what has happened. My decision this morning to hastily visit a shop that was open on a Sunday may have not been a wise choice. On the other hand, I'm going to visit a well respected mechanic tomorrow morning for a second opinion. If what you say is true, then today's mechanic was trying to hose me. Average hourly rate in Chicago is $90.

So, I went to another mechanic today and 3 out of the 4 things the previous mechanic said to replace were totally fine. Just needed 4 new spark plugs. Paid 1/7th of the $700 quote which also included a can of fuel injector cleaner. I'll take that.

i read the first one and was going to say just try replacing the spark plugs to see if it works. Good thing you went to another guy. good job!

Back