cheap tranny modd???

chris

:
96 nissan 200SX SE-R
I just found out that the 3rd gen fsde trans has 5th and reverse sharing the same gear which means that 5th gear will always be gutless because it was only meant to be an overdrive!
To make things more interesting,that particular gear is external! the only thing that keeps it from bein exposed to the air and dirt is a plastic cap that covers it.(look on driver side upper right side of tranny). does anyone want to help me research into possibly changing this gear out with a bigger one? possibly the ford probes 5th gear if it isnt also used for reverse like ours.from what I have been told , you can change that gear out without touching anything on your trans but the plastic cap.let me know if anyone is interested in trying this very cheap and possibly effective modd. (drive) (alright)

It's a metal cap, and you can remove the two meshing gears on that end of the tranny without removing anything else.

It's a 200 rpm reduction at 70 mph cruise... kit cost with the replacement hardware should be between 200 and 250 bucks... group buy we could cut the price another 10 bucks or so probably.

TurfBurn said:
It's a 200 rpm reduction at 70 mph cruise... kit cost with the replacement hardware should be between 200 and 250 bucks... group buy we could cut the price another 10 bucks or so probably.

I max out my car at 4th gear at aroun 120mph. once i hit 5th it stays at around 5000 rpm and will not climb whatsoever.WILL this product help 5th gear climb to higher MPH,because right now its like fith gear is only to maintain higher speeds at a lower rpm. I dont want to maintain speed, I want to pickup speed.is the gear bigger

chris in iraq said:
I max out my car at 4th gear at aroun 120mph. once i hit 5th it stays at around 5000 rpm and will not climb whatsoever.WILL this product help 5th gear climb to higher MPH,because right now its like fith gear is only to maintain higher speeds at a lower rpm. I dont want to maintain speed, I want to pickup speed.is the gear bigger

nope... it'll make it worse.. if you can't get any more speed when you are in 5th gear that means you don't have enough horsepower or a limiter kicks in.. by going to a taller gear like we have for 5th, you make it worse and you'll probably lose speed.

PseudoSpeed said:
could the top end (im more concerned about) be extended farther than 7mph?

Not without a full custom gear... I'm using an off the shelf right now. But I am going to send the gears to one of my shops and see if they can make new ones... so it may be possible in the future.

keep in mind too that with our current 5th gear, if you have enough horsepower you can technically get to 163 mph at 6900 rpm's... takes a LOT of power to get a car to those speeds... and I doubt our car is stable at those speeds either.

TurfBurn said:
keep in mind too that with our current 5th gear, if you have enough horsepower you can technically get to 163 mph at 6900 rpm's... takes a LOT of power to get a car to those speeds... and I doubt our car is stable at those speeds either.

this is truth, but our rods it would seem, forged or not, will never sustain 6500+ rpm for long. at least, thats what happened to Brian.

TurfBurn said:
when you say a lot...what do you mean? Cuz i just bought Philly ORanges built motor/turbo kit, will i be able to go faster then my stock motor setup which tops out(due to limited power) at 137mph? Im very interested..also, i will be buying the custom gear sets and stuff..but i think you are pretty good w/ cars, so, with that being said, say i wanted to run 600whp, aside from uprading the turbo/fuel rail/injectors, what would i need to do to the motor/tranny to sustain that kinda power? And when you build the bottom end, what do you do when you build the top end? like what parts?

PseudoSpeed said:
this is truth, but our rods it would seem, forged or not, will never sustain 6500+ rpm for long. at least, thats what happened to Brian.

He did not have oliver forged rods... trust me.. my car spends a LOT Of time above 6 grand racingon the track... and it is quite content :)

chris in iraq said:
I max out my car at 4th gear at aroun 120mph.

120? If that's true, you're WAY past redline.

once i hit 5th it stays at around 5000 rpm and will not climb whatsoever.WILL this product help 5th gear climb to higher MPH,because right now its like fith gear is only to maintain higher speeds at a lower rpm.

No, the different 5th gear is even taller, and thus will take even more power to accelerate than the current 5th gear.

I dont want to maintain speed, I want to pickup speed.is the gear bigger

Yes, the gear is bigger. However if you can't break 120 in the current 5th gear, you're going to have an even harder time with an even bigger gear.

And I'm not sure what you mean about 5th gear being a reverse?

Also, our stock 5th gears are notably SHORT if anything. I cruise down the highway at 4000rpm. That's insane.

boostdprotegelx said:
when you say a lot...what do you mean? Cuz i just bought Philly ORanges built motor/turbo kit, will i be able to go faster then my stock motor setup which tops out(due to limited power) at 137mph? Im very interested..also, i will be buying the custom gear sets and stuff..but i think you are pretty good w/ cars, so, with that being said, say i wanted to run 600whp, aside from uprading the turbo/fuel rail/injectors, what would i need to do to the motor/tranny to sustain that kinda power? And when you build the bottom end, what do you do when you build the top end? like what parts?

I'm running around 300 at the ground and I can push over 140 without issue... but I have no place or desire to test how much 300 can get me to, not to mention the heat and other issues that become a problem sustaining that kind of run. The biggest problem you will probalby start to face outside of the heat and stress on the motor (even if it is producing the power you need) is aerodynamics... and no wing is going to really solve that... you'd have to work on body panning, redoing the stance of the car etc.. all things to get it to stay planted and not float at those kinds of speeds... I've been over 135 and the car is stable as hell... but I don't trust it would stay stable for too long past that... takes a lot of aero to get a car over 150 mph.. jsut look at the likes of the Saleen S7 and the Ford GT and others...

I don't see 600 as a realistic goal at this point. Keep in mind nobody has yet to show a credible dyno for anything over 400 horse.. Also, the few Puerto Rican cars we know about that are in the 500 range and getting close to 600 are running ridiculous boost levels, and don't last super long overall... (think 40+ psi in some cases.. plus nitrous). One of the big things you need to deal with as well when you get into that kind of power is the traction is simply not there.. I peel racing slicks in 3rd gear at this point... and that is me at 300 horse with a heavily built motor... We don't know what will all brake and have issues as power goes up to those levels... but budget roughly 40K and you should be able to get there... you'll need at the least:
-Entire new custom suspension and axles to accomdate considerably larger tires
-Redone fenders and bodywork to accomodate suspension
-Full worked and internall polished block
-Hardended crank
-Bearings that don't exist yet... but Toga's may do for now
-Gas Nitride rings
-Oliver rods, possibly custom titanium rods (no one knows HOW strong the Oliver's are).
-CP Pistons
-Full custom transmission
-Dual 255lph fuel pump
-All new fuel lines
- JandS Safeguard system
- Standalone capable of reading 45 psi (Microtech does offer one that I can get you).
- Upgraded individual coil spark ignition system (Microtech makes one as well... Bosch coils)
- Dual 550 to dual 720cc fuel rails
- Custom ground cams
- Custom sheet metal intake manifold (I'm working on it right now)
- Probably want to upgrade brakes at some point here..
- Roughly $800 in instrumentation minimum for monitoring engine health (water and oil temp, intake temp, oil pressure, EGT, wideband, JandS knock monitor, transmission temperature etc).
-Full worked head and exhaust manifold and exhaust system
-Ferrea SuperAlloy valves (I can get them for you as well.. roughly 55 bucks a valve)
- Potentially a custom reinforced girdle for the motor bottom (we don't know if it is necessary yet or not... no-one has gotten high enough to know).
- Massive clutch (Spec Stage 3+ disc with at least 50% to 75% over plate)
- Clutch could require alterations to mains due to the extra force....
- New Radiator and cooling system
- Modified thermostat
- Dual Oil Cooling System
- New engine Mounts

And probably more I'm forgetting.. but that list is the BASE set you'll need to do this.

Dana... Fourth gear is a .972 ratio... based on that and assuming a redline of 7000 rpm's I get that he can do roughly 128.5 mph.

Not to mention that you'd never ever get traction with 600hp on one of these cars unless you converted it to full drag. Hell, anything over 250whp is a tooth and nail fight for traction until 3rd gear.

HOOOOLLYYY SHIIIEEEEEOOOOOOOTTT!!!!!!one!!!!e!eventyb!l!on!!!!

Latest posts

Back