Changing my mind

jtl

:
CX-5 GT w/Tech
Well, I am think about it. Instead of getting the Touring that I have on order I am now considering the GT w/Tech. Big jump in price but may be worth it since I keep my cars so long (11 years and only 51,000 miles on my Passat). Realizing this is a personal decision I am just curious how the folks that purchased the GT w/tech justified their decision. Also my dilemma is that I was getting a liquid silver but to get the GT I need to get white or accept a dealer trade for a silver one. I don't like dealer trades especially when they are 120 miles away, nor does the dealer I am working with but they will do it. Any comments from the white CX-5 crowd.
Thanks.
John

Just was posting up in the pricing thread when you mentioned this.

Wife and I made the same decision. We've been in an '03 Tribute LX for the last ten years and plan on being in the CX-5 just as long.

Justification for us was as follows:

1. We liked the look and flow of the leather interior better. Nothing wrong with the cloth, but the leather just makes the interior for us.

2. I like the look of the 19" wheels much better. The 17s just leave too much gap for me. Of course, I'll be regretting the 19s when replacement time comes...

3. Adaptive bi-xenons. I have them in my BMW and love them. Great light output, the leveling is nice when you are carrying passengers/cargo, and the adaptive lights are a nice feature when you're driving twisty roads at night. I think these alone are worth the price of the Tech package.

4. SCBS. With the list of cockpit distractions ever-growing, anything that can save me or her from punching the car in front of us is worth a little extra up front, imo. If we have a minor fender-bender that this would have prevented, our insurance deductible alone will be nearly as much as the Tech package.

As for the dealer locate, I share your concerns but that's what we were forced to do. There aren't any GTs w/Tech at the local dealers, so they'll be driving one in from about 50 miles away. Not too bad, but still 50 miles I'd rather be putting on the vehicle.

Unfortunately I think that's just going to be the reality for a while until the inventories catch up.

Can't go wrong for the little premium you pay for such good amount of accessories the GT and Tech comes with.

Do it, GT w/tech is a great setup and good value IMHO after 14.5K miles. (white/black leather)

2. I like the look of the 19" wheels much better. The 17s just leave too much gap for me.
I won't quibble about whether the 19s look better than the 17s or not (I have a Touring and I have to agree with you), but overall tire circumference is within 1/4" from one to the other. What makes the 19s more attractive is the design of the wheel and the fact that there's more wheel filling the wheel well as opposed to more tire on the 17s.

Do it, GT w/tech is a great setup and good value IMHO after 14.5K miles. (white/black leather)

This would be with tan leather, which I am ok with on a white car although I have not seen it in person.

Last edited:
I won't quibble about whether the 19s look better than the 17s or not (I have a Touring and I have to agree with you), but overall tire circumference is within 1/4" from one to the other. What makes the 19s more attractive is the design of the wheel and the fact that there's more wheel filling the wheel well as opposed to more tire on the 17s.

Ah, makes sense.

This would be with tan leather, which I am ok with on a white car although I have not seen it in person.

I have the Sand Leather on Black Mica. The leather is definitely off-white with silver and beige stitching. Better get used to cleaning the seats because fabric dye on jeans/pants rub off quite easily on light colored leather.

Originally wanted GT w/o tech package, but very glad I got it. Didn't think I wanted nav since I normally use Google maps nav on my phone. Built in nav is definitely nice. The keyless entry system is awesome! Like having Homelink rather than finding somewhere to keep the remote for the GD. GT was never a question for me. Best part was that I was down to a choice between the CX-5 and Ford Escape. I have Ford X-plan deal through work 0.4% under invoice plus all incentives). An SEL with the 2L Ecoboost engine and typical packages (no sunroof, no nav) at the X-plan price with another $2750 in cash back incentives was still almost $2000 more than the loaded CX-5 GT w/ tech pkg and I got 0.9% financing from Mazda. They also gave me $400 over book value for my trade. Easy decision!! Had the CX-5 for two weeks now and love it! Can't wait to get out tomorrow to give it test in the snow after the blizzard.

I see you are in sunny FL. The white exterior will have far more favorable impact on interior heat than tan interior color.

This is a never ending battle with these dealers. Now they are jacking me around for $178. Really too bad because I thought this dealership and in particular the salesperson was top drawer. Oh well, live and learn. I will just move on and find the deal for what they could have had. Time is on my side, except I had a real nice buyer for my car who was planning on taking a trip next month with his family and now he won't have the car he wanted. He calls me about it every few days, concerned I am going to sell it to someone else.

Last edited:
. Also my dilemma is that I was getting a liquid silver but to get the GT I need to get white or accept a dealer trade for a silver one. I don't like dealer trades especially when they are 120 miles away, nor does the dealer I am working with but they will do it.
Thanks.
John
If you're not in a rush, why don't you have them order you a LS one?

Originally wanted GT w/o tech package, but very glad I got it. Didn't think I wanted nav since I normally use Google maps nav on my phone. Built in nav is definitely nice. The keyless entry system is awesome! Like having Homelink rather than finding somewhere to keep the remote for the GD. GT was never a question for me. Best part was that I was down to a choice between the CX-5 and Ford Escape. I have Ford X-plan deal through work 0.4% under invoice plus all incentives). An SEL with the 2L Ecoboost engine and typical packages (no sunroof, no nav) at the X-plan price with another $2750 in cash back incentives was still almost $2000 more than the loaded CX-5 GT w/ tech pkg and I got 0.9% financing from Mazda. They also gave me $400 over book value for my trade. Easy decision!! Had the CX-5 for two weeks now and love it! Can't wait to get out tomorrow to give it test in the snow after the blizzard.
So how did th eCX-5 do in the snow??

If you're not in a rush, why don't you have them order you a LS one?

I am kind of in a hurry and actually the white may work out good. We thought about white originally and looked at them side by side. It was a very close call. The white really looks nice with all the black trim.

Latest posts

Back