Center Console Help??

DeCaro

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
I have owned my Protege5 for 6 years now and had this issue for 4 of them. It started after a stereo installation. I bugged me for a while. But after months of trying to figure it out, I gave up. Now that damn thing it bugging me, since now I have paid my car off and want to fix her up.

The left side of my center console will not, for the love of God, set flush. The clips will not hold. They just pop out as if something in the middle is pushing on something else. I have double checked everything that I could. It's not warped. The control knob cables are not giving the resistance. Everything seems to be lining up perfectly; air vent ducts and such. I just don't get it. I've broke two sets of retainer clips trying to get this darn thing to fit the way it should. Has anyone else had this issue and can you help?

photo.jpg

i have not had this issue. I have taken mine out several time with ease. I dont have a clue what it could be with out seeing a better view of things. maybe the stereo or the empty din slot is getting in the way try taking them out and then putting the console in then put the stereo and the cd holder back in. if all else fails get a new one

Maybe the stereo or the empty din slot is getting in the way try taking them out and then putting the console in then put the stereo and the cd holder back in. if all else fails get a new one

The stereo does not move. Not sure how this could be the issue. The din slot pops out easily and that is not in the way.

Last edited:
+1 on taking the stereo and din slot out and trying it. Even if they're not the problem it will give space to see what the problem is if you have a small mirror and flash light

+1 on taking the stereo and din slot out and trying it. Even if they're not the problem it will give space to see what the problem is if you have a small mirror and flash light

I'll give that a try. You are right. it's gonna be the only way to see. The console fits around them with pleanty of room. It's something behind the dash, for sure.

i would look at the wire that connects to the hazard light button. it has to be routed between the vents. i had a smiler problem, and it was the wire across the vents behind the bezel.

i would look at the wire that connects to the hazard light button. it has to be routed between the vents. i had a smiler problem, and it was the wire across the vents behind the bezel.

It's not that. I have the wire running over the top of the left vent.

I HAVE THE SAME THING!
it was fine when i had the factory head unit.
it was fine when i swapped it for a single din.
but now i have a double din and the left side pops out withing 20 seconds of pushing it in.

try pushing the head unit back and see if it will stay in place like that (just push it back and hold it by hand)
if i do that then it stays in place
so in conclusion i think i (and maybe you too) have to find a way to keep constant pressure holding the stereo back (maybe a bracket of some kind.

other than that i was thinking of adding another retaining clip (one like on the door since those hold more pressure) and putting one on each side. that can be done with a little bit of drilling and some epoxy

there's a little pin that's supposed to come out of the back of the stereo and sit in the support bracket at the back, is that in place? if not, perhaps the stereo is pushing up on the trim piece or just not sitting right?

Wow. This forum is so helpful. I will try these ideas out tomorrow when I have better light. Thanks guys.

I am sure it is just a matter of making sure everything is clear when pushing the bracket in place, just do it slowly and check twice and you will be fine.

ALLRIGHT, ALLRIGHT!!!! I FINALLY got a free weekend to get out there and see what this issue is all about....

I ripped EVERYTHING out. It took me about 15-20 mins to pinpoint it. But I got it. It was the left AC vent. It sags a bit. I had to remove my empty din slot (as bigpturgeon suggested) to even notice it. The only way to line it up was to have the din slot out to push it.

Protege5_Console_Obstruction.jpg

Here it is... All happy and fitting perfectly. :)

Protege5_Correct_Console_Fit.jpg

Last edited:
Back