CEL-0401-insufficient EGR flow

My check engine light is intermittently coming on. I am getting code 0401, insufficient exhaust gas recirculation.

I am not interested in doing an egr delete (want to keep stock parts in place) and do not want to stare at the light all the time (annoying)

Anyone know of a solution-clean the egr or tubing / replace the egr, etc
please advise.

you have any exhaust mods?
you may need to clean your egr..used to be very common in the protege world.

Clear the code at your local auto parts store and see if it keeps coming back. Do you have a DH or anything that can actively monitor parameters?

You should be able to clean the EGR passage from inside the throttle body.

See this pic here below. It's the intake manifold when I had it off the car. See the black residue. That's from the EGR. I cleaned mine up by soaking a handful of pipe cleaner "rods" with throttle body cleaner and pushing it up into the EGR passage ... I think you should be able to do it without taking the whole mani off, just the TB.

If you do take the TB off, watch for the coolant hoses. Be ready to clip those shut with a locking pliers and remember which side went where.

3315196442_f8506a70bb.jpg

i just threw this code thsi morning. What do I need to do to prevent it form coming back?

U know what my machanc says don't worry I've been driving like this for quite some time now, I finally got the gasket and honing to make time to have it taken apart at the shop. I am just going try and clean it first, cause that bastard cost $468 new.

If you're going to clean it I'd recommend using a cleaner that is pretty mean on that stuff, and make sure you wear gloves that won't react to the cleanser. you aren't going to was chem burns. I've got the same issue, and let me know how it all goes.

weee didn't have to pay the $400+ some bucks for a new one. took it to my trusted local macanich and told him the problem and told him what i had in mind and BAMMM no more check engine light. i had to get a new gasket from the dealer that was no biggie. when he was cleaning the EGR he also cleaned everything else near by and he found that there is a crack on the pipe that connects the egr, so he recommends that next time the light comes on i should get that part also.

Mine comes on every now and then. Sometimes it takes longer to come back than others. Going to try and clean it here soon.

I had a CEL most of the time for my EGR, I removed the EGR and cleaned it with some electronic parts cleaner (essentially brake cleaner) and a toothbrush. I made sure that I was able to push down on the valve with my hand so it wasn't locked up. Threw her back together and no CEL's since then.

Back