CDT Components.. about to install the CL-61 but have a question:

b_real45

For any of you that have components, how and where did you mount your xovers? I'm thinking about using some spray adhesive and tape.. hehe call me ghetto.. but what ways did you guys try?

in the door.. with zip ties.. but when i say in the door.. i mean in the door.. LoL

Do you mean "in the door" as in between the door panel and the frame? If so, yes that's what I was planning..

Or do you mean "in the door" as in behind the frame so it's between the door frame and the window? (that'd be kinda hard)

door pannel and frame.. -=) i wanted to put them in the pocket.. but i was scared i would open the door int he rain an it would get wet an blow up.. i kno.. imma big pussy

I put mine in the door pocket, and drilled holes for the wire. I actually have the CDT HD-62cf, which has a similar if not the same x-over. I screwed mine down, but you can always just velcro it!

Good luck...enjoy them! Make sure you don't mount the tweeter too high, though! :D

i actually mounted my tweeters on the outside of the sails. not flush and them aimed them downward slightly.. sounds good in my oppinion.. -=)

It all depends on what brand you're using and how much power you'r throwing. I've got 140W (approx) going to each door. The tweeters are flush mounted in my doors, and sound very good. I may actually turn the gains down a little more (minutely) on the amp. It's a whole lot of power...the speakers sound great, though!

Protege52003 and I mounted them in the doors using screws. Check this thread for pictures (scroll down to Protege52003's post)

Actually, here are the relevant pics:
fb44fc20.jpg

fb44fc37.jpg

Only two screws were used per crossover. It's in there pretty tight. Be careful with the screw length: you don't want to scrape the window or puncture any hardware behind the metal.

How do the CDT cl-61 fit in the protege? I just put them in my bros WRX and they were a major PITA. Do we have to worry about depth issues or speaker slap? I really want to get some after hearing my bros and for $150 at www.thezeb.com you cant go wrong.

Later

They actually fit pretty easily, you just need to make a baffle. What I found with my HD-62cf's, was that one screw hole lines up with stock and the rest you can use to secure the baffle, if you countersink the screws. Then you can screw the speaker down to the baffle. Baffle is necessary though with mine. They were really close to the window before, but they wouldn't have fit in that hole anyway. I just used 1/4" Birch play and made some baffles, covereed them in eDead, put weatherstipping on the speaker, and made sure the seal was pretty tight. If you're a stickler you can even make a fiberglass enclosure in the hole behind the speaker to make the midbass even better. I may do that some day...but it sounds fine for now!

--EDIT--
Of course, you could just use sheet metal screws and just make new holes in the metal to secure the baffle and speaker at once. :D

Excellent pics, Astral. I just hope I don't run into any clearance issues against the panel with my 1/2" spacers. Did you have to drill in any holes for the xovers?

What are your thoughts on the CDTs with the ED10k sub? Funny thing is that was what I wanted exactly and you already have it!! :eek:

Both him, and I have similar setups. My comps are just a step up, but they sound very similar. I've heard his, and it sounds really nice, but the highs and mids can be a little harsh.

In my car, I'm sending apprx. 140W to the doors, so the bass from the sub (getting about 350W from a JL 250/1) is never overpowering or boomy. They fit together pretty well, in my opinion.

how low does the e10k go? I listen to various music, but mostly Techno with Drum n' Bass and also some Rap.. so there will be times when I'd want nice low clean bass.

If you want to hit lower, get the 12k or the O. The O, it's been said, is the best low bass sub that eD makes. i listen to a lot of techno, and the K has done beautifully with that. It also handles stuff like Sevendust and APC extremely well.

Ah ok.. I was looking at the O anyways.. but wanted to know about the K cuz it's cheaper.. haha.. i'm such a penny pincher.. I guess I gotta be tho.. cuz its the only pennies I got!

b_real45 said:
Excellent pics, Astral. I just hope I don't run into any clearance issues against the panel with my 1/2" spacers. Did you have to drill in any holes for the xovers?

What are your thoughts on the CDTs with the ED10k sub? Funny thing is that was what I wanted exactly and you already have it!! :eek:

Yes, holes were drilled for the xovers. Just two holes per x-over for the two screws.

The CDT's sound great and get pretty darn loud without distortion. I have tracks on which I sometimes wince when the snare hits.

Because I mounted the tweeters up at the sailpods, they sound a little harsh. Right now, I just turn down the treble a notch or two, and it sounds better. When I get to it, I'll take off the doors, open the crossover and flip the tweeter gain switches to -3db each (from current 0db).

Btw, servoeyes, I didn't have the treble turned down when I played you my system :) I need to hear your HD-62s, I bet they're really nice

The low end on the CDT's is quite decent. I'd say that they are well qualified down to 100Hz.

The e10k.14 sub provides ample midbass and a little bit lower. It sounds clean (much cleaner after I put it in a properly sealed box) and gets relatively loud, but doesn't extend as low as I would like it to. I guess that's what I get with a 10" sub.

Now don't get me wrong: it extends plenty low for hip-hop, and rock music, pop and most of what you would call techno music, but the real lows between 25 and 40Hz get drowned out at anything higher than moderate volumes (I don't even know if the sub goes below, say, 30Hz). I'm a huge drum'n'bass fan, so I need "da bass".

So to sum it up: my current sound is great, but I just wish that the sub extended a little lower. Other than that, I get a s***-eatin' grin every time I drive to work and from work and whenever I'm blasting my favorite music :)

I do wonder what an e12k would sound like in my trunk, with the same power, instead of an e10k.

Also, last thing: order some eDead or RAAMmat or other Dynamat Extreme workalike and put that in between the CDT's and the baffles (I need to do that.. I get a bunch of rattles around 250hz right now). I am also planning on lining my trunk with eDead. Mind you, you have the 5, so your bass will sound louder.

b_real45 said:
Ah ok.. I was looking at the O anyways.. but wanted to know about the K cuz it's cheaper.. haha.. i'm such a penny pincher.. I guess I gotta be tho.. cuz its the only pennies I got!

I'm a penny pincher too (I jumped on CDT CL-61a's, when I saw the value), and I suggest you get the 12. I got the 10 because I wanted to save on trunk space. Now I'm somewhat regretting that decision.

I think you'll be plenty satisfied with a K. If you're getting an O, make sure that you provide it the power that it needs. My amp is outputting 220W RMS into my 320W-rated K. If I got an O (rated at 500W RMS), I would need to step up my amp to take advantage of it.

Thanks for the replies Astral. If you're interested in more lows like I am, why not look into the e10 O series.. it will still fit in your current box. I'm really looking into this sub. But for now, I'm gonna get my CDTs in and my new HU.

Hah ok.. Sorry I didn't read your second post.. probably cuz I was posting to your first one. Ya the amp I'm getting will be a JBL600.1 so It'll be plenty for the e10 O.

If you let the CDT's run full range, you'll be able to enjoy a bunch of drum'n'bass still. Just turn up the "artificial bass" on your HU. :)

Back