castro edge OIL

Pototoy

:
2016 CX-5 GT with tech
Anyone using this oil.

My genius dealer wants me back after 4 months or 4000 miles. (boom02) They put my service fixed at that interval but I put it back to flex maintenance.

Would like to know if I can go past 7K on this oil. http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/5C7A8F7B15A9A6A480257C2B0014900E/$File/Castrol_EDGE_Professional_0W-20_3379257_2013_10.pdf

Thanks

Yes if you are under the " Normal" driving, then you should be able to run the full 7,500 mile OCI.

I would recommend changing it before 7k miles. The US spec Castrol in the black bottle is decent but not long life.

I'm up here in Canada, so not sure if these are labelled different. We have 3 Castrol Edge full synthetic products. Syntec, Titanium, and Extended performance. I've been using the Edge titanium and changing at 8000 kms (5000 miles). Have done an oil analysis with good results.
I can't open that link you provided so not sure what product you're looking at.

7,500 is normal service, NOT extended today. 7,500 should be easy for any name brand synthetic or blend. Ed

Last edited:
7,500 is normal service, NOT extended today. 7,500 should be easy for any name brand synthetic or blend. Ed
I agree, but not for synthetic blend and Mazda doesn't recommend synthetic blend anyway. And used oil analysis done by many people proves that too. I use Flexible Maintenance Schedule on oil change with Mazda moly oil. Last time I changed my oil at 5,800-mile mark but the oil life monitor indicated it still has 55% oil life left!

I'm up here in Canada, so not sure if these are labelled different. We have 3 Castrol Edge full synthetic products. Syntec, Titanium, and Extended performance. I've been using the Edge titanium and changing at 8000 kms (5000 miles). Have done an oil analysis with good results.
I can't open that link you provided so not sure what product you're looking at.

CAstrol Edge professional. if you have time can you please attach the files of your oil analysis? THANKS!

My dealer and one other mazda dealer near in my area only offers Castrol. They don't have mazda moly oil. I would love to have a flex maint.

In my 2011 Mazda 3S 2.5L I'm running Castrol Edge European Blend 0W-40 change at 7500 to 8000 change filter at 4k. So 2 filters per oil change interval. I've not seen the dealer since I took delivery of my car back in Dec 2010. I change all of my fluids and keep on driving.

If you are running full synthetic its ok to go 7000 miles between oil changes but I wouldn't go too much longer than that. I run on Motul 8100 5W30 ECO-LITE which is really awesome, I have been putting this stuff in my cars for the past like 5 years. But if you are using a blend I would go much longer that 5,000.

The only way to really tell if you can go with longer oil change intervals is to have your oil analyzed/tested. That said, if you do fit the "normal driving" criteria, I think you should be able to take it to 7,500 miles with today's modern synthetic engine oils.

So people are ignoring Mazda's recommendation of using 0W-20 full synthetic oil in the US? (uhm)

I buy my oil only from one place and they were sold out of 0W20 so 5W30 it was. So many cars require 0W20 now a days so I feel like it sells out pretty quickly especially the 5 Liter jugs. I've run it before in my previous car before which also recommended 0W20 and have never had a problem.

I buy my oil only from one place and they were sold out of 0W20 so 5W30 it was. So many cars require 0W20 now a days so I feel like it sells out pretty quickly especially the 5 Liter jugs. I've run it before in my previous car before which also recommended 0W20 and have never had a problem.

I'm guessing your previous car probably didn't have a Skyactive Mazda engine, basically a redesign of the internal combustion engine. In this area of the world you should be using the 0w-20.

I'm guessing your previous car probably didn't have a Skyactive Mazda engine, basically a redesign of the internal combustion engine. In this area of the world you should be using the 0w-20.

Ill definitely switch back on my next oil change.

Question for the Mazda Engineers on here. Why does my owners manual specify 5-30 everywhere else in the world beside the US and Canada? Do the US and Canada cars have a different engine than the rest of the world? Just wondering, kind of puzzling to me. Thanks

Thanks madar,

That thread makes the answer about as clear as the Mississippi River. Lol

Back