Carpet under driver-side

:
2015 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Good day,

I removed the WeatherTech mats to vacuum underneath and found the carpet under the mat lifted up a few inches when I removed the mats. That doesn't seem normal. Is there some play with your carpet or is mine not adhered properly?

Paul

That is pretty typical of cars now. They don't apply any adhesives to the big flat sections of carpet. Only the edges are secured.

My guess is for weight savings. As long as the carpet doesn't slip or move around when stepping on it. It's kind of like the carpet in your house. You could probably grab it somewhere in the middle/away from where it's nailed down and lift it up a bit, but it doesn't really affect anything.

That is pretty typical of cars now. They don't apply any adhesives to the big flat sections of carpet. Only the edges are secured.

My guess is for weight savings. As long as the carpet doesn't slip or move around when stepping on it. It's kind of like the carpet in your house. You could probably grab it somewhere in the middle/away from where it's nailed down and lift it up a bit, but it doesn't really affect anything.

Various environmental reasons too. Adhesives give off volatile fumes, so using less results in better air quality. 'New car smell' was from all those volatile fumes from the plastics, adhesives etc, so it's almost eliminated now and certainly goes away faster than it used to.

Also, there's related cost savings by using less and it makes recycling the car easier.

It's nice that it's not glued down as I spilled a huge jug of liquid on it. Luckily it was on the coldest day of the year (-10 deg F) & it froze & I was able to vacuum the ice out & open it up to wipe the rest of liquid out. So far it hasn't smelled this whole summer. Fabreeze FTW.

Thanks. I thought I may have pulled too hard on the mat and pulled the carpet up by mistake but sounds like it is the way it is. Lots of differences with a 13 year upgrade in one shot :)

Thanks. I thought I may have pulled too hard on the mat and pulled the carpet up by mistake but sounds like it is the way it is. Lots of differences with a 13 year upgrade in one shot :)

Yes, I'm seeing that as well, 2000 to 2015. I know the new car is much safer than the older one, but it still feels flimsier with the lighter doors etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm seeing that as well, 2000 to 2015. I know the new car is much safer than the older one, but it still feels flimsier with the lighter doors etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It is just night and day difference for safety! I think that's why there was hardly a change in my insurance (about 200 per year). I find the carpet pretty cheap but whatever is there is totally covered up front to back so no real issue.

I remember people like the old big boats of the 70's - they are so solid but these newer materials are much stronger.

Has anyone went through winter with the original floor mats? Do they hold up well with the slop of snow? I live in the midwest so-yeah our winters are very harsh. My last car the mats held up ok, so I'm just curious if I'll have to buy the "all weather" ones. However, they look awful.

As much as you don't like look of all weather probably best for long wear. Carpet is nice but easier to clean out stuff with all weather mats.

Back