Cargo liner and cover options?

:
2014 Mazda 5 GT
Hi all,

I just picked up my 2014 5 GT this past weekend and feel like I'm on could nine. Love, love, love the car. Especially considering I was coming from a 2000 Civic hatch.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a cargo liner for the trunk and 3rd row seats. The only 2 options that I'm aware of are the OEM and Canvasback one. I would prefer a rubber liner but I do need the 3rd row up for passengers occasionally. Am I missing any other manufactures out there? Is there a foldable rubber liner on the market that has a "3rd row up" option? I saw that the UK 5 had a hard plastic liner (not sure if it's for 1st or 2nd gen) but not available in the US.

Also, a cargo cover would be nice but not mandatory. AFAIK, OEM is my best (and most expensive) choice with another one available by TYGER https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)[Link2][Link3]. As mentioned in the Amazon.ca review, the fit appears to be a CX-5 and not the 5? Has any one on the forum had any experience with the TYGER cargo cover? TIA!

Hi all,

I just picked up my 2014 5 GT this past weekend and feel like I'm on could nine. Love, love, love the car. Especially considering I was coming from a 2000 Civic hatch.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a cargo liner for the trunk and 3rd row seats. The only 2 options that I'm aware of are the OEM and Canvasback one. I would prefer a rubber liner but I do need the 3rd row up for passengers occasionally. Am I missing any other manufactures out there? Is there a foldable rubber liner on the market that has a "3rd row up" option? I saw that the UK 5 had a hard plastic liner (not sure if it's for 1st or 2nd gen) but not available in the US.

Also, a cargo cover would be nice but not mandatory. AFAIK, OEM is my best (and most expensive) choice with another one available by TYGER https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)[Link2][Link3]. As mentioned in the Amazon.ca review, the fit appears to be a CX-5 and not the 5? Has any one on the forum had any experience with the TYGER cargo cover? TIA!

I have the OEM cargo liner and it is very nice. You can pick it up from Arlington mazda for a fair price. It fits well and allows either or both of the 3rd row to go up or down. It also has a removable bumper protector if you are loading or unloading stuff that can damage the bumper. The other option is weather tech, which looks great for protection and protection against spills, but does not allow the 3rd row to go up.

I am also interested in the OEM cargo cover, but I feel $180 is absurdly expensive. I looked at the Tyger but not quite sure. If you end up getting it let me know how it is.

I picked up the OEM cargo cover for $70 off Craigslist :D

I had 2. Sold the other one last week for $50 locally off CL. It was a 1st gen but worked/fit the buyer's 2014 Mazda5 just fine.

And I echo the OEM cargo liner sentiments. It works and fits really well.

Last edited:
I had 2. Sold the other one last week for $50 locally off CL. It was a 1st gen but worked/fit the buyer's 2014 Mazda5 just fine.

And I echo the OEM cargo liner sentiments. It works and fits really well. 1st gen one for $49.55 shipped on ebay - I would assume would fit the 2nd gen as well:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Negative...the 1st gen cargo liner WILL NOT fit the 2nd gen MZ5 and visa-versa the 2nd gen cargo liner WILL NOT fit the 1st gen MZ5. The mounting points for the seats are different.

Negative...the 1st gen cargo liner WILL NOT fit the 2nd gen MZ5 and visa-versa the 2nd gen cargo liner WILL NOT fit the 1st gen MZ5. The mounting points for the seats are different.

What are you talking about? Everything aside from the dashboard is exactly the same between the two gens.

What are you talking about? Everything aside from the dashboard is exactly the same between the two gens.

I don't know how to take your comment...are you being sarcastic? Anyone that has owned both generations such as myself can tell you that the seats are not identical. In fact just look at the headrests alone. When I traded my 06 Touring for my 12 GT I tried installing my old (1st gen) cargo liner on my new MZ5. Guess what? It didn't work. The part of the liner that attaches to the 3rd row seat backs attach differently. The 1st gen liner attaches to a corner of the rear seat back cover as opposed to the 2nd gen attaches to the entire top of the seat back. Now you may be able to attach the 2nd gen liner to a 1st gen as long as the headrest posts are spaced equally or closely but you won't be able to even try to install a 1st gen liner to a 2nd gen MZ5.

I don't know how to take your comment...are you being sarcastic? Anyone that has owned both generations such as myself can tell you that the seats are not identical. In fact just look at the headrests alone. When I traded my 06 Touring for my 12 GT I tried installing my old (1st gen) cargo liner on my new MZ5. Guess what? It didn't work. The part of the liner that attaches to the 3rd row seat backs attach differently. The 1st gen liner attaches to a corner of the rear seat back cover as opposed to the 2nd gen attaches to the entire top of the seat back. Now you may be able to attach the 2nd gen liner to a 1st gen as long as the headrest posts are spaced equally or closely but you won't be able to even try to install a 1st gen liner to a 2nd gen MZ5.

Good to know. Fixed my post.

Well at least the cargo cover from the 1st gen works for the 2nd gen...that I'm sure of :)

I have another question and rather starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here.

With the cargo net is there any way of folding it in half and setting it up to be vertical? Like this...

51wRn9SAjWL.jpg

I suspect not as I don't see any anchor points above the floor of the trunk. Alternatively, has anyone tried setting up vertical mid-trunk anchor points with 3M heavy duty no-damage hooks like these?

17088s-commandtm-damage-free-hanging-slate-jumbo-hook.jpg&boundedSize=310

I figured, depending how big the net latches are, you can drill a hole into the hook and latch the net latch into the hole. Would two 7.5lbs hooks be suffice? Just an idea I came up with as sometimes I'll have the 3rd row up and still want to utilize the net in the trunk.

I
I have another question and rather starting a new thread I thought I'd ask here.

With the cargo net is there any way of folding it in half and setting it up to be vertical? Like this...

51wRn9SAjWL.jpg

I suspect not as I don't see any anchor points above the floor of the trunk. Alternatively, has anyone tried setting up vertical mid-trunk anchor points with 3M heavy duty no-damage hooks like these?

17088s-commandtm-damage-free-hanging-slate-jumbo-hook.jpg&boundedSize=310

I figured, depending how big the net latches are, you can drill a hole into the hook and latch the net latch into the hole. Would two 7.5lbs hooks be suffice? Just an idea I came up with as sometimes I'll have the 3rd row up and still want to utilize the net in the trunk.

I actually retro fitted mine to attach just like that. I went to Honda and bought two cargo hooks from a 2008 Accord and installed them where the regular screws go to hold the side trim in the crevice where the cargo cover would hook to and it worked like a charm.

I

I actually retro fitted mine to attach just like that. I went to Honda and bought two cargo hooks from a 2008 Accord and installed them where the regular screws go to hold the side trim in the crevice where the cargo cover would hook to and it worked like a charm.

Pics?

Sorry I never took any pics of it and I got rid of my old MZ5 almost two years ago. But it's very simple, open your hatch and on each side there are screws holding the plastic quarter trim down. Remove those and replace them with the Honda cargo hooks and voila!

So an update on my search for cargo liners. I was luckily enough to catch this on my local Craigslist - the OEM JDM "rubber luggage tray". At a glance it looks like the UK hard liner. All the cutouts are where they're suppose to be and it fits perfect in my gen 2.

Each tray is essentially secured with velcro on the backside. Despite the velcro only being in small patches in the corner and mid-length of the edge of the tray it remains quite secure. Overall I'm really happy with it and glad I came across it on CL.

Attachments

• CAM00229.jpg
    CAM00229.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 1,201
  • CAM00227.jpg
    CAM00227.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 1,175
  • CAM00228.jpg
    CAM00228.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 1,110
  • CAM00226.jpg
    CAM00226.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 1,171
i have a coverking seat cover for the 3rd row will the oem trunk tray fit on top of it?

So an update on my search for cargo liners. I was luckily enough to catch this on my local Craigslist - the OEM JDM "rubber luggage tray". At a glance it looks like the UK hard liner. All the cutouts are where they're suppose to be and it fits perfect in my gen 2.

Each tray is essentially secured with velcro on the backside. Despite the velcro only being in small patches in the corner and mid-length of the edge of the tray it remains quite secure. Overall I'm really happy with it and glad I came across it on CL.

is there anything available for the back of the middle seats?

There's one manufacture, can't remember the name right now, that offers covers for the middle seats that hang off the headrest I think. The one time I needed to move something with the middle row down I just used a moving blanket as a cover.

Back