Car Smokes at Idle.

aron_ft

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
If I sit at an idle for more then a minute after the cars warm then it starts pouring white smoke out, only until I decide to get on it or drive away, then clean and strong again! im stumped, ive read a lot about bad turbo seals, well theres no oil in my hot pipe going to the intercooler, the shaft has extremely limited play in it ( if any) its clean as a whistle on the inside of the turbo from what I can see. also I pulled the plugs and they look good, other then a little oil up around the threads on the spark plug. I don't know where to go from here and my dad will not help me at this point. I also checked the oil return line ( if its the one that is under the turbo with two allen keys on it, it is a little bit gunky. any any any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Im sorry your going through this but you may have messed up your headgasket.

my compression is as followed. dry 175,165,170,170 and wet for some reason I got 200,205,200, and a 240??? had to go back and do that cylinder again and it was up there. I don't know why that would be though.

Im only saying that because you got white smoke. Coolant in the cylinders. You gota figure out where its coming from. Most likely the headgasket correct. There is less likely hood that its coming from somewhere else. Your saying the turbo maybe bad well take all the pipes off from the hot side and inspect the inside and see if there is any eveidence. Next check your coolant levels and check if they are dropping or if you see oil residue on the surface. Besides that a cracked throttlebody is a strech. Im sorry your pops is not helping you out. He probably see dollar sighns in the future. Take your time inspect throughly and good luck.

An easy way to check for a headgasket leak aside from visible oil in the coolant is if the coolant reservoir slowly burps/bubbles while the car is running.

its not coolant burning. its most definitely oil, I should have added that in, its white smoke but I guess you can classify it as having blue tint. you can for sure smell the burnt oil. not antifreeze, the radiator all the coolant still there vibrant green color.

Im only saying that because you got white smoke. Coolant in the cylinders. You gota figure out where its coming from. Most likely the headgasket correct. There is less likely hood that its coming from somewhere else. Your saying the turbo maybe bad well take all the pipes off from the hot side and inspect the inside and see if there is any eveidence. Next check your coolant levels and check if they are dropping or if you see oil residue on the surface. Besides that a cracked throttlebody is a strech. Im sorry your pops is not helping you out. He probably see dollar sighns in the future. Take your time inspect throughly and good luck.

thanks for the help i appreciate it greatly! i don't feel as its the head gasket. nor the turbo, the only thing i haven't checked to rule out turbo is my downpipe, hot side looked great, and the turbine inside turbo was clean and looked good no play at all.

The burbing could be a low psi rad cap or your cap needs replacing.

But a bad HG will pump exhaust gasses into the cooling system and you will see slow bubbles in the overflow while it is running. Rad caps will cause other symptoms like overheating.

If it didn't burn oil before the compression test I would keep driving it until you burn the oil that was forced past the rings. If it starts to get better keep driving, if it gets worse park it.

But a bad HG will pump exhaust gasses into the cooling system and you will see slow bubbles in the overflow while it is running. Rad caps will cause other symptoms like overheating.

If it didn't burn oil before the compression test I would keep driving it until you burn the oil that was forced past the rings. If it starts to get better keep driving, if it gets worse park it.
It has had time to burn excess oil, its parked. Pilled valve cover and the gasket was a little rough, ( fel pro ) new only has 1000 miles on it. Irs got cracks and a tear in it. It had power, no sign of oil on plugs. I dont think its headgasket. Had good compression also, which leans away from hg. Could this be because of gunked oil return line on turbo??????

A little residual caked on oil on the outside of the turbo is nothing to worry about, it's common. My car has residue on the turbo as well, just have to clean it every couple years. If it is fresh oil or excessive the fitting may need to be tightened but it is more likely the turbo seals leaking oil or it is burning in the motor.

The K04 in the MS3 is a bad turbo, they are known to start smoking/leaking oil at around 15-20k miles. I doubt it's your PCV.

Back