Car rumbles kind of loud in idle, is this normal?

allanl1n

I just bought this car yesterday everything works great. My friend sat in it and when it was idle it rumbled pretty loud. I thought it was normal because i spoke to the guy before and he said its been like that nothing new.

To cut it short, Is this a problem? when i add gas to the throttle, the sound goes away. I was thinking it was the turbo but im not sure.

Thanks for your help!

Mine has a subdued growl. Don't think I'd use "rumble" as a description. Maybe something is in contact with the exhaust or is resonating.

actually a subdued growl seems to define the sound a little better lol. if thats the case, is that normal? The good thing is the person i purchased it from just had a 30k mile service on it and everything was cleared. Hopefully its just normal

Umm, did it make this same sound before you bought it? IOW, it hasn't changed, right? So you ask now?

i sat in it again, all seems well until i mentioned it. It fluctuates; sometimes its soft sometimes it gets a little deeper. Glad to hear i'm not the only one though :)

I just bought this car yesterday everything works great. My friend sat in it and when it was idle it rumbled pretty loud. I thought it was normal because i spoke to the guy before and he said its been like that nothing new.

To cut it short, Is this a problem? when i add gas to the throttle, the sound goes away. I was thinking it was the turbo but im not sure.

Thanks for your help!

is your a/c compressor cycling on and off when this happens? the tone will change when your engine is under load, like when you are idling and you move the steering wheel.

My stock exhaust has sounded like that since I've had it. I've always thought it was normal.

Last edited:
While at idle, in neutral, clutch disengaged, give it some gas and let it come back to idle. Note the sound. Put the clutch in all the way (leave it in neutral) and note any difference in sound at idle vs slightly revving with the clutch depressed. Could be clutch chatter. You won't hear it when the clutch is depressed, only the engine's normal sound.

Glad to see this is normal noticed mine the other day after DP install, at idle the car is lumpy also. Just glad nothing is wrong. :)

Glad to see this is normal noticed mine the other day after DP install, at idle the car is lumpy also. Just glad nothing is wrong. :)
"Lumpy" applies to V8s with cams. Maybe yours needs plugs?

I believe he ment a modded cam. Stock cams are timed to run smooth, modded cams are designed to open intake and exhaust valves at different times for better flow and power. The use of the term "Cam" in describing a V8 just stands for a Modded cam. :)

As so far as feeling, you will feel the engine a bit better if you have stiffer motor mounts of any kind, or inserts. As for noise, Mine is generally pretty steady, not loud (Stock Exhaust w/ Resonators deleted), unless the A/C compressor goes through its cycle, in which case the engine rpms bump up to handle the compressor.

Last edited:
Or just by moving the steering wheel. You can hear the motor load up.

is the sound like a gluglugluglugluglug sound? (just say it fast and in a deep voice lol) thats what mine sounds like, but im catless.

Back