car goes boom(pics)

I've been around modded cars for over 20 years and everyone break something, so if you want to mod a car, break it and then warranty cover it, I would say you got the better half of the stick. you have a car that was made to handle 15.6 psi of boost and you jacked it up to over 25psi, didn't you think something would overload and break?

I've been around modded cars for over 20 years and everyone break something, so if you want to mod a car, break it and then warranty cover it, I would say you got the better half of the stick. you have a car that was made to handle 15.6 psi of boost and you jacked it up to over 25psi, didn't you think something would overload and break?

No but maybe you should introduce him to captin obvious then? lol

if what the OP is saying is true, that his motor just blew up when he was normally driving, then something was seriously messed up. I've read other stories of ms3's blowing up under normal driving circumstances but that's all nonsense in my opinion. you would think mazda would have worked out all the bugs seeing as how the ms6 has the same motor, but then again it's only a 2 year difference in models.

oh well. good luck on getting your motor replaced with all those mods.

SPEEDYHANS, you're making my brain hurt.

how does the piston pin coming loose blow a hole in your oil pan?
even if it was loose theres nowhere for it to go, maybe a little left a little right but the rod should have still stayed connected to the piston

by piston pin u mean the wrist pin right?
can anyone explain this? cuz i seriously dont get it

edit: and how does it come loose and go through the ****** clip?!!
doesnt make sense at ALL

Last edited:
if what the OP is saying is true, that his motor just blew up when he was normally driving, then something was seriously messed up. I've read other stories of ms3's blowing up under normal driving circumstances but that's all nonsense in my opinion. you would think mazda would have worked out all the bugs seeing as how the ms6 has the same motor, but then again it's only a 2 year difference in models.

oh well. good luck on getting your motor replaced with all those mods.

then dont read (fu)

how does the piston pin coming loose blow a hole in your oil pan?
even if it was loose theres nowhere for it to go, maybe a little left a little right but the rod should have still stayed connected to the piston

by piston pin u mean the wrist pin right?
can anyone explain this? cuz i seriously dont get it

edit: and how does it come loose and go through the ****** clip?!!
doesnt make sense at ALL

under normal driving and no boost no less...

he probably was under boost, and he was beating his car most likely because he had the mods and power and his story of "not under boost" is probably just fear of mazda reps on the forums.

becuase his version of the story is crap. no dealer that iv seen will cover a blown motor with those mods, so please, post the name of the dealer and where its located.

he probably was under boost, and he was beating his car most likely because he had the mods and power and his story of "not under boost" is probably just fear of mazda reps on the forums.

becuase his version of the story is crap. no dealer that iv seen will cover a blown motor with those mods, so please, post the name of the dealer and where its located.

I'd like to know which dealer as well...

if what the OP is saying is true, that his motor just blew up when he was normally driving, then something was seriously messed up.

not necessarily...motors that have that many mods done to them are typically under major stress compared to stock cars....and they don't just break when being driven hard or at the track. the stress takes its toll over time.

the human body is the same way. some folks live with major ailments that over time just cause them to drop dead. my uncle lived with an aneurysm that worsened over time and just popped one day while he was watching TV. Dead in less than one minute.

I do agree though...something was seriously messed up.

I am not gonna mod my car. I have seen too many problems with engines blowing.

even if the clip comes out, the wristpin cannot fall out enough to cause this kind of damage. All you need to do is bend the rod just enough, once it has that bend it can snap at any time regardless of how you are driving it.

keep it civil folks.

point blank, where the hole is and where the wrist pin is at are two totally opposite ends of the engine. the rod broke off at the bottom, probably at the crank. thats what blows a hole. a wrist pin is situated horizontally through a hole at the top of the rod and thus through a hole at the base of the piston. it cannot "fall out". i cannot say this enough. a wrist pin CANNOT fall out of anything inside an assembled engine. it has no place to go, period. it cannot move up and down inside the rod and piston, because the clearances between the pin and the holes it slides into are less than a millimeter. is it a lubricated snug fit. if the clip breaks, the pin will, at worst, slide over to the side and scratch up and down on the cylinder wall. the pin is not short enough even to slide all the way to one side and drop the rod out even if a clip breaks.

only thing i could think of, the clip snapped, wrist pin slid to one side, made contact with the cylinder wall at engine speed (hundreds to thousands of rpms) and the repeated high speed impacts and vibrations traveled into the rotating assembly (pistons, rods, crank) and broke the weakest link. which would frankly be yet one more piece of evidence to deflate the "factory forged super strong rod" idiocy that lingers out here in the community.

i hate to even speculate further because it doesn't matter. one more blown engine, warranty is fixing it, customer is selling his car, community goes on, as the world turns...

Maybe i'm in denial when I say this..

I think there are a lot more happy MS3 owners with light mods than unhappy, disgruntled MS3 owners with heavy mods that blew their engines.

I've said it in the past, I don't think this car was made to mod for heavy power. It's a handling car, with liveable power on a day to day basis.

Each thread I read about disaster striking, makes me enjoy the car more and more for what it's worth and what it's capable of. And considering the fact i'm looking to keep it for the long term, i'm going to try and ignore these turbo'd videos on youtube..it's hard to resist lol.

Sorry to hear about your troubles OP! Good luck selling everything at a loss and trading the car in at a loss. (Not tryin to be a dick about it..)

you guys talkin' about the MS3 breaking easily make me laugh! try living with an msp. Sooo many horror stories, but mine has been solid for 107k miles.

I would really love to hear that mazda will cover this. I once was told that mazda would cover my $800 cracked axle job, they FIXED THE CAR, then told me that they could not cover it and asked if I had been in an accident (which I had 6 months prior), and the insurance did cover it to my great relief or there would have been a s*** storm at the dealership. I got $20 bucks that says mazda tells this guy to GTFO!

I am not gonna mod my car. I have seen too many problems with engines blowing.

go read the msp section,were blowing motors at stock boost(6.9 psi) but still we mod,i dont get why people put bigger turbos and s*** on there cars and expect stock internals to hold up never trust stock s*** haha

go read the msp section,were blowing motors at stock boost(6.9 psi) but still we mod,i dont get why people put bigger turbos and s*** on there cars and expect stock internals to hold up never trust stock s*** haha

+1

thats y theres aftermarket internals, for your aftermarket turbos ... duh haha

all this bashing on the ms3 ... i don't visit the other forums but how about the cx-7 and ms6? It has the same motor, does it have the same bashing and problems. If it doesn't , then that just dumb this bash this car and call it a pos.

Ok... So a BOV, Exhaust, & a CAI shouldn't cause a catastrophe right?

after reviewing all the mods people do to these cars and blow the motor, I think the best turbo upgrade is the rebuilt turbo from protoge garage here's why, 1. it looks O.E.M. when you go to the dealer 2. you spool up faster and run stock boost 3. bigger turbos spool up late, so if you wanna run someone you gotta wait and do a roll from 80mph lol, what if you went to the track? you'll probably hit boost at the finish line, and your spending like a 1000.00 more.

99.9% of the time its the driver and the loads that he/she subjects the car too when it comes to zoom-zoom boom. Almost never is the real story told in these cases. 100% of the time the problem car is referred to as a POS or poorly designed.

Back