Car battery dying already>?

Int3grity

:
07 Cx-7 Liquid Platinum
Anyone having issues already with the Car battery not holding a good charge?
***NO it has nothing to do with my LED lights***

I last started the car thursday and yet today 10/21/08 I go to start the car no crank wait 5 minutes the car barely starts and the TCS is off the the loss of trackion is soloid amber on the instrument display ran the car for 10 minutes turn it off start the car again and back to normal. I had the interstate battery guy look at the battery he said something to 400 crank rating which he said seems low should be for your car around 600 for a solid charge. I have no idea what he is talking about but they sell a 800 crank battery for $110 which sounds good gurantee starts for 3yrs or they replace the battery at no charge

Seems kind of odd that your batter is dying already.

I still have the original, at 56K miles, and still cranks the juice.

What's the average life expectancy of a car battery?

Vince.

Battery Life

Most new batteries last for 4 - 5 yrs depending on usage. Too many variables to put an exact usable life expectancy... ie weather, starts per week ...etc...

If you are a Costco member, they sell batteries that tend to be about 25% - 30% less in cost. There is no proprietary design that makes one manufacturer better than another. Its all just hype and marketing.....

good luck

The dealer pro-rates the battery for the first 3 years. 0-12 mths warranty picks up 100%, 13-24 50-50, 25-36 75-25. Take it to the dealer.

do you by chance have a radar detector/GPS or something that could be drawing power with the car off?

if not, i'd say take it in to the dealer if your still under warranty

I had all kinds of trouble with my OEM battery last winter. I thought seriously about replacing it with a heavy duty battery, that works well in cold climates and for people like me who don't drive every day. But I didn't pull the trigger, in part because I couldn't stop thinking I should have to buy a new battery after a year. (I don't have any accessories draining power.)

Once spring came, my troubles went away. But I am worried about how things will go now that my weather is cold again.

Anyway, that's my long way of saying you aren't the only one who has had trouble with their OEM battery.

Because of my weather and use patterns, if I buy a new battery, it will be a heavy duty RedTop 35. (Costco doesn't carry them in the right size unfortunately.)

Last edited:
Before condeming the battery, you should check the battery & ground connections. Check the charging voltage as it should be ~ 14.6 volts at a fast idle. 400 CC is more than good enough but, if you are replacing, then don't go lower..

Last edited:
Ours was almost dead after sitting in the garage for 3 1/2 weeks not moving. I did not charge it however and it has since not given us any problems.

A mate has a CX-7. 3 batteries in 12 months. Traced to a failing alternator due to its inability to keep charge on the battery.

Battery draining due to dodgy DVD player installed at dealership.

Mazda had to wear all of the cost.

Back