Car Audio Upgrade

milkyxj

:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD
Now that the HID's are put in I am going to start the audio upgrades. I ordered a 5 channel amp today (a polk audio PA D5000.5) and an audiocontrol LC6I line output converter for OEM integration. I am going to amp the factory speakers for now, and add a 12" sub in a sealed box for now. Later I will dynamat everything and replace the door speakers (have to do a little at a time so the wife doesn't get suspicious). I might do the Focal IS200 8" door speakers that a few others have done or their 6.5" components, not sure yet but I'm open to any feedback. I'll put up pictures once I get the amp in next week or so.

Now that the HID's are put in I am going to start the audio upgrades. I ordered a 5 channel amp today (a polk audio PA D5000.5) and an audiocontrol LC6I line output converter for OEM integration. I am going to amp the factory speakers for now, and add a 12" sub in a sealed box for now. Later I will dynamat everything and replace the door speakers (have to do a little at a time so the wife doesn't get suspicious). I might do the Focal IS200 8" door speakers that a few others have done or their 6.5" components, not sure yet but I'm open to any feedback. I'll put up pictures once I get the amp in next week or so.

I had an alpine set build into my CX-5 by a shop. When the job was finished and I was going home, I noticed that the carkit wasn't working anymore.
The guy at the shop rerouted the front speaker (and dash, they're the same wires) to an external amp. Apparently the radio sends the carkit signals through it's own front/dash output. Now I have to go back and let the shop fix this. I am unsure if amping is possible with the preservation of the carkit functionality. I will get back to this thread when I have more information about that.

Last edited:
What's carkit? I amped every speaker in my car and haven't lost any functionality at all; I think your shop just screwed something up

I had an alpine set build into my CX-5 bij a shop. When the job was finished and I was going home, I noticed that the carkit wasn't working anymore.
The guy at the shop rerouted the front speaker (and dash, they're the same wires) to an external amp. Apparently the radio sends the carkit signals through it's own front/dash output. Now I have to go back and let the shop fix this. I am unsure if amping is possible with the preservation of the carkit functionality. I will get back to this thread when I have more information about that.

What's carkit? I amped every speaker in my car and haven't lost any functionality at all; I think your shop just screwed something up

"Carkit" is what we call handsfree over here. Sorry for the confusion. After putting both front speakers on an amp, I lost the ability to hear sound from my bluetooth handsfree.

You shouldn't lose any sound, whatever sound coming out of the receiver is basically just made more powerful by the amplifier. Let me know what you find out on that. Anyone else lose bluetooth after adding an amplifier? Any input on doing the 6.5" vs 8" fronts? I will have a sub as well, just an old 12" one I have in my garage for now and I'll upgrade it later.

You shouldn't lose any sound, whatever sound coming out of the receiver is basically just made more powerful by the amplifier. Let me know what you find out on that. Anyone else lose bluetooth after adding an amplifier? Any input on doing the 6.5" vs 8" fronts? I will have a sub as well, just an old 12" one I have in my garage for now and I'll upgrade it later.

Yeah, I didn't lost anything when I did mine, so thinking that his shop cut some wire they shouldn't have and didn't splice it back. Also, you can add 8" speakers up front just fine. I went with 6.5 dls speakers, myself, but measured o see what my options were. You'll need to make a spacer to bring it out away from the door, since you won't be able to use the stock housing for the 8", but that's not a problem

I started to put 6.5" speakers in the front, but when I saw how much room there was, I ordered 8" speakers.

Since I already had installed one 6.5" speaker in the passenger front door, I left it in until after I installed the 8" speaker in the drivers door, so I could compare them.

The 8" speaker has way more bass and much deeper bass. It was a pretty fair comparison because both speakers came from same manufacturer and had similar specs and build quality.

I started to put 6.5" speakers in the front, but when I saw how much room there was, I ordered 8" speakers.

Since I already had installed one 6.5" speaker in the passenger front door, I left it in until after I installed the 8" speaker in the drivers door, so I could compare them.

The 8" speaker has way more bass and much deeper bass. It was a pretty fair comparison because both speakers came from same manufacturer and had similar specs and build quality.

How is the 8" kit on mids? Do you think the 8 loses anything there or is it just as good as the 6.5" on the higher frequencies? That's my only concern with doing 8" doors is losing out on the higher end. I will have a sub to fill in the bottom end either way. Also, amp came today waiting on line output controller and RCA's to come in.

How is the 8" kit on mids? Do you think the 8 loses anything there or is it just as good as the 6.5" on the higher frequencies? That's my only concern with doing 8" doors is losing out on the higher end. I will have a sub to fill in the bottom end either way. Also, amp came today waiting on line output controller and RCA's to come in.

From what I've seen most people do who run 8" mids in their doors, is also run a smaller mid, like a 5" and and a tweeter. Otherwise, like you said, you may lose your higher mid base.

From what I've seen most people do who run 8" mids in their doors, is also run a smaller mid, like a 5" and and a tweeter. Otherwise, like you said, you may lose your higher mid base.

Agree that 8" doesn't make good mids. My 8" speakers are three way triaxials.

Agree that 8" doesn't make good mids. My 8" speakers are three way triaxials.

Which 8" speakers did you get? I've seen the triaxials online but never found them around where I am to listen in person.

Which 8" speakers did you get? I've seen the triaxials online but never found them around where I am to listen in person.

Lanzar VX-830 from Amazon. $49 including shipping. Second pair I've had. Really liked them in my Xb. I'm sure they aren't as good as Focals, but its a car and pretty much listen to pop and rock and the Lanzars are good for both.

I can report that my bluetooth functionality is restored, and it was able to use the handsfree together with an amp. So false alarm on my side, sorry!

I have everything for the install but my line output converter (Audiocontrol LC6i), looks like I will have to do it on Monday instead of over the weekend. The amp I got is small for a 5 channel maybe the size of a text book, Polk Audio PA D5000.5, I'll let you know how I like it once I get it in. Hate slow shipping lol

Line output converter is here but I won't be able to do the install until Friday morning. I will do a write up then and post pictures. The amp will go under the driver's seat and the LC6i will go under the passenger seat, everything fits perfectly.

Back