Car alarm and remote start questions.

:
mazda5
We plan to get a car alarm and remote start for our 2012 but I never looked into these things before and kinda at a lost. Do our cars have an immobilizer? I believe my 06 STi does since it came with these little tags with a security ID number. But our 5 didn't have those, just a spring release key with lock/unlock capabilities. I'm not sure about which brands to choose either, I know that viper and python are big brands, but I don't know which snake to go for. I just wanted to make sure I'm getting what I need before I spend the money on a system. Thanks!

Mazda 5 has an option for a stock remote start system. You can buy it from your local Mazda dealer or on ebay.
I can't recall the OEM part number but you can call your local dealer and ask for it as well as what will be the installed price.
Some member had it done for $300 from Mazda dealer all-in.
For the aftermarket, yes, you will need the by-pass. Pick your poison and go. All big brands are not too bad.
I've installed a few on different cars and they work reasonable well.
I've tried some cheaper crap from ebay and they were not as nice as the snakes.
You can now get an android /apple compatible alarm that works over the cell network (there is minimal monthly fee) and that gives you basically unlimited range, similar to on-star.
You can lock/unlock the car from cell, find its location, etc.

Back