Can changing just the wheels cause an alignment problem?

event

I put my RX-8 wheels on less than a month ago with the same tires as stock. There is clearly a wearing problem on the outside edge of the tire (just the outside edge, not the inside edge). The very outside edge is now completely worn down smooth. Could just changing tires cause this, or is the different shape of the tire (from going to an 8" to 7" wide wheel) just magnifying an existing problem?

KLxVF.jpg

The wear isn't uniform all the way around:
qF99y.jpg

and here's the passenger side, looks fine:
ND9RB.jpg

If it's only one side then maybe your alignment is off, but I think you'll come to find that due to the limited stock adjustment capabilities that you'll need to get the sbcs to eliminate chewing thru the outer edge on your tires

Unrelated question, what tires are you running. I can see they are General. But they look directional, and if those pictures are all taken from the same side, you may have them running backwards.

General exclaim uhp. They are directional and installed in the proper direction. I am going to get them rotated and an alignment tpnight or tomorrow

Have them check the alignment before you have them do it. My local Goodyear will check it for free and then charge you to fix it. Yours should do the same if it is reputable.

There is no sense in paying for an alignment if it is already in spec. Mine is in spec and wears the outer edge too.

Hey what's up ,i do alignments for myself on my 06 speed6 running stock suspension & hankook v12 tires & mine wear evenly all way around with no chopping or feathered edges ,so if the person doing the alignment is good all u need to do is tell him the problem u r having and he can set the toe to correct your issue ,good luck .

Back