Can a Mt bike or road bike fit inside standing, with front wheel removed?

I was curious if anyone has tried to put their mountain bike or road bike in the back of the cx5 with the seats down, and standing the bikes up.
I would guess if this was at all possible, then at a minimum, the front wheel would have to be removed (as well as lowering the seat)?

I ride both Mt & road bike, an often throw them in the back of my current SUV standing up with the front wheel removed.
Super easy and this works great for me especially when I plan on going for a ride after work; more security for the bike & also keeps it out of the elements.

Thanks

Probably with the wheels off. Probably not with the wheels on. I'm sure you could lay it down though with the wheels on. I used to put 2 mountain bikes laying carefully on top of each other in the back of a Pontiac Vibe with the wheels on.

I lay mine down in the back ok, but probably wouldn't be enough height for the bike to be standing up but never tried. With front wheel off would probably be ok.

I ride a 58cm frame road bike and I can't stand the bike up in the back, even with the front wheel off. Maybe if I dropped my seat, but then it'd be a pain in the ass to get adjusted properly for every ride.

Plus if you stand it up the fork dropouts are gonna cut into the fabric of the floor and seatbacks, and the bike will probably fall over. Better to just lay it down with a towel or shirt under it.

My 18" 29ers and fat bikes only fit with the front wheel off, seatpost removed, and fork right up to the back of the front seats. They won't fit backwards due to the curvature of the tailgate hitting the bars. I'm going to end up with a hitch rack, but it's too damn cold to install the hitch right now. Laying them down in the back is fine for now.

As the others have said, doubtful unless you take off the front wheel and drop/remove the seat. And then your bars may hit the glass, so you would need to turn the bike around. Or just lay the bike flat on its side (front wheel will also need to come off). Or, get a hitch or roof rack. The CX-5 has mounting points in the gutters on the roof. Pull up your plastic strips and you will see the holes. Thule makes a rack that uses those mounting points. I posted pics of this some time ago. They should be on the forum somewhere.

Back