Callaway Cars!

Old news...Double post.

No worries though, the old thread has probably been really buried.

And, this topic isn't brought up nearly as often as oil...:rolleyes:

CALLAWAY IS MAZDA'S ENGINE PARTNER OF CHOICE FOR NEW TURBOCHARGED MAZDASPEED PROTG.

For Immediate Release
28 March, 2002

Callaway did a pretty good job on this car..sure they could have upgraded the internals and threw a bigger turbo on there but im sure the price would have spiked even higher. They put a turbo on there that will last and keep the engine running safe. I have no gripes with any engine or turbo related things...only sway bars..which everyone does.

MHO is that Callaway could have done a hell of a lot better with the tuning the car.

Turbo size aside, the kit seems cheap to me as compared to other Callaway things.

I have heard that Callaway quality has slipped over the past few years, and it shows in the MSP.

Mazda is not happy with Callaway over a number of issues concerning the MSP...

Which can be seen with the Mazdaspeed Miata. Anyone wonder why it was an in-house project??

StuttersC said:
MHO is that Callaway could have done a hell of a lot better with the tuning the car.

Turbo size aside, the kit seems cheap to me as compared to other Callaway things.

I have heard that Callaway quality has slipped over the past few years, and it shows in the MSP.

Mazda is not happy with Callaway over a number of issues concerning the MSP...

Which can be seen with the Mazdaspeed Miata. Anyone wonder why it was an in-house project??

Theres only so much tuning one can do with a bad PCM.

BinaryRotary said:
Theres only so much tuning one can do with a bad PCM.

True, but that doesn't explain the other issues Mazda ran into with Callaway..

mdaj said:
What other issues is there that Mazda had problems with Callaway about.

Warranty issues with regards to Canada.

The ECU cold start issues that delayed the release of the car. The forged pistons having to be put in on the dock.

The following quote from the Callaway site amused me:

"Callaway engineers are also highly skilled in powertrain control module programming and are able to optimize every element of the vehicle's operations for the engine application."

I'm throwing a flag on that marketing statement :bs:

Bah, if they were so skilled why did Mazda have to produce the ECU flash? Why are we all waiting for a better PCM controller?

StuttersC said:
Warranty issues with regards to Canada.

The ECU cold start issues that delayed the release of the car. The forged pistons having to be put in on the dock.

forged pistons?

oldzoomer said:
The following quote from the Callaway site amused me:

"Callaway engineers are also highly skilled in powertrain control module programming and are able to optimize every element of the vehicle's operations for the engine application."

I'm throwing a flag on that marketing statement :bs:

Bah, if they were so skilled why did Mazda have to produce the ECU flash? Why are we all waiting for a better PCM controller?

That isnt Callaways PCM in any way shape or form. Its 100% Ford. Take it out of the carpet, Ford's written all across it. No Callaway input was used for the PCM.

I think Mazda could have gone to a little more extreme with the MSP. Look at cars now a days. SRT-4, EVO, STi, factory tuned, right! Now I know 2 of those cars are not in the same bracket, but they could have made there HP numbers a little more desirable. I mean they did the Suspension right, the Protege is good platform off the bat. I think the MSP has lost some sales to the SRT-4. :( I hope the nect generation MSP will put out over 200hp

I know this is my first post, but I've been reading for a while.

The car Sport Compact Car had to test drive prior to the release of the MSP, had hard pipes and a few things were different in the engine bay. I think they(MAZDA) made some changes from the Callaway design.. just my .02.

MSpeedNB

RAAZ227 said:
I think Mazda could have gone to a little more extreme with the MSP. Look at cars now a days. SRT-4, EVO, STi, factory tuned, right! Now I know 2 of those cars are not in the same bracket, but they could have made there HP numbers a little more desirable. I mean they did the Suspension right, the Protege is good platform off the bat. I think the MSP has lost some sales to the SRT-4. :( I hope the nect generation MSP will put out over 200hp

They aren't going to make a next generation MSP are they?

Back