Caliper Bolts: 1 Me: 0

speedblue88

:
2003 Laser Blue P5
How in the @^%$*& do you remove the caliper bolts on this car? I've been out there hitting my wrench handle with a hammer and the damn things won't budge. I don't know how much the previous owner torqued them, but this is just plain silly.

who ever did the brakes last prolly just hit them with an impact. figure in the rust and everything, they are on there really tight. got a long breaker bar or if you have access to air tools, an impact wrench

Step 1: put closed end of wrench over bolt
Step 2: put hand over the closed end of the wrench to hold it in place.
Step 3: 3 lb sledge hammer. Repeat as necessary.

Spray a penetrating lube (something like Liquid Wrench).

Try a LONG pipe over the rachet wrench.

Everyone says long pipe, but there's about no room to get something light that on the caliper bolts. Trust me. I have trouble working down there with my 48" breaker bar.

Plus, you don't get to bash anything w/ a hammer that way! :p

Or use another/larger box end wrench fitted over the open end of the wrench on the bolt. This will 'stack' them or extend your effective length to give you more torque.

Everyone says long pipe, but there's about no room to get something light that on the caliper bolts. Trust me. I have trouble working down there with my 48" breaker bar.

Plus, you don't get to bash anything w/ a hammer that way! :p

Very true but some people have mutliple breaker bars or one less endowed breaker bar. It's not the size of it that matters but more about being able to fit it in.(naughty)

I use a breaker and a hammer. That way I when both ways.

My bolt was on really tight and I ended up barely rounding it. A boltout, breaker, and mini sledge popped it no problem. I even put the same bolt back on after the know it all parts department at the dealership ordered the wrong bolt.

The right front hub bolt was put on my 74 Beetle so tight, it wouldn't budge with me jumping up and down on a long cheater bar. I finally broke the wrench. Took it down to Pep Boys and they broke it loose with an impact. That's definitely the way to go.

PB Blaster!!

pblasterb.jpg

corrected for engrish ;)
Very true but some people have mutliple breaker bars or one less endowed breaker bar. It's not the size of it that matters but more about being able to fit it in.(naughty)

I use a breaker and a hammer. That way I win both ways.
NOW you're talking! :p

I've only got 1 because so far I don't even have a garage / regular place to work on my stuff and start accumulating tools. Mostly used it for changing tires @ autocrosses lol.

Speaking of garage... Closing on the house in 2 days. woot!

corrected for engrish ;)

NOW you're talking! :p

I've only got 1 because so far I don't even have a garage / regular place to work on my stuff and start accumulating tools. Mostly used it for changing tires @ autocrosses lol.

Speaking of garage... Closing on the house in 2 days. woot!

I had to re-read it. Damn misuse of win.(bike)

Congrats on the new garage! I closed on mine in August and am finally getting the garage closer to how I want it.

Must haves for brake jobs:
PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench
Mini breaker - about ten to twelve inches long
Mini sledge - one side rubber, the other side metal

And BoltOuts - sure help when the bolts start to round.

Thank for the suggestions everyone. I've tried damn near everything and these bolts aren't budging. So will Autozone or Pep Boys assist me with an impact wrench free of charge? That might be my last option. I've sprayed probably almost a full can of WD-40 on these bolts.....is PB Blaster better?

PB blaster is better..... The advanced auto by me will loan out an impact set. But the deposit is like $300.

Soak bolts in PB blaster.
Then use a 24" breaker bar. This is much much better than a wrench and hammer. The torque/leverage you get from a really long bar will beat a short wrench any day. If anything, use an impact socket b/c those will never break. I've broken a few sockets before and its not pretty!

Soak bolts in PB blaster.
Then use a 24" breaker bar. This is much much better than a wrench and hammer. The torque/leverage you get from a really long bar will beat a short wrench any day. If anything, use an impact socket b/c those will never break. I've broken a few sockets before and its not pretty!

man, I love my breaker bar. $12 @ harbor freight too. Breaking a socket sucks. What's worse is breaking your ratchet :(. Done that a couple times. Now, unless I'm REALLY hurting for room, the breaker bar does all the dirty work, then the ratchet works 'em loose. It's been instrumental in the progress of me pulling the tranny in the miata. Breaking some of those bolts loose was not gonna happen w/o it lol

If it starts to feel like it's taking too much force with a breaker bar or cheater pipe - STOP! These methods add a lot of torque very slowly which easily snaps off the head of the bolt. Think of it as slowly twisting something until it snaps.

Use an impact driver, impact wrench, or hammer on a ratchet/wrench. These methods apply a large amount of torque nearly instantly so the bolt doesn't have the chance to contort with the force. Usually something that's seized up needs the vibration from an impact driver to loosen up. Also make sure you are using 6 point sockets and not 12 so you don't round out the bolt. If you don't have an air compressor just go buy a high torque electric one($100-200) and return it when you're done.

Back