calibrating odometer/speedometer with new tire size

Elsestar

:
2002 P5
We have just figured out that the odo and speedo are off. I am assuming it is due to aftermarket wheels and tires being put on. is there a way to re-calibrate so they are right again?

I did search the threads, but did not really find if this is possible...sorry if I overlooked the answer in the search forums..

btw...the wheels tires are size 225/45/r17 (nankang) and the wheels are excels

thanks
erik

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm seriously impressed by the size of your tires...do you rub? Are your fenders rolled?

this is the wheel/tire combo that was on the car when purchased...I am not wanting to go back and buy the stock tires/wheels! There is no rubbing or fender rolling on my car, the tires seem to fit nicely...

I was just wondering if there was a reset somehow to fix the odo/speedo...I know other makes of cars that this is possible on, but being that this is the first mazda we have owned I am new to the scene!

any more info would be apreciated!

I don't think there's any way to do that...but I don't know for sure. I've got 215s on my stockers and I don't ever want to go back to 205s...I can't imagine 225s!

I think he does not have stock wheels...But damn I got 215'S on my stockers too and i think it's a thight fit...225 will be so damn cool on the car...with lets say 225/40R17 with 17 x 7.5 wheels...could be a great handling combo, and a badass look

And for the speedo thing...it's not really important but they can do it at a stealership or any garage of your choice

I think he does not have stock wheels...But damn I got 215'S on my stockers too and i think it's a thight fit...225 will be so damn cool on the car...with lets say 225/40R17 with 17 x 7.5 wheels...could be a great handling combo, and a badass look

Yeah, I noticed he didn't have stockers, but still...I have not seen many (or any?) p5s with 225s...oh the grip! (drive2)

And for the speedo thing...it's not really important but they can do it at a stealership or any garage of your choice

Really? I didn't think that was possible...good to know!

The car certainly grips way better than any other car I have had! I was pretty curious about the fit, so I went out and checked it all out and there seems to be plenty of room when the wheels are turned. There is no sign of it rubbing anywhere.

I was kind of worried that whoever had the car before me messed it up with the wheels/tires, but so far I have driven it about 1500-1600 miles and it has been a dream (other than the droning exhaust that I need to change)

It does have a pretty sweet look to the car. As a photographer by trade, I have been itching to get some sweet shots of it in action, but the weather has not been too cooperative here in ohio! soon though!

thanks all for the responses. I am going to talk to my mechanic to see if he can reset the odo/speedo!

I used to have rims off of a friends Tacoma that ran 215's and 225's. I had to roll my rear fenders but I only rubbed when I had my speaker box and one of my kids in the back seat. I used to drive with all three of my kids back there and I rubbed on every little bump . As far as the speedo, I used to have my brother drive our mom's stock Tribute with cruise control on at 10 mph increments and I would pace him. At 40 mph, I found out that my speedo was reading me going 5 mph slower than I really was. That could explain some of my speeding tickets.

Good luck finding a 225/40R17 tire size. I think the only tire I've seen in that size is the Nitto 555 or whatever it's called and it's a "luxury tuner" tire; whatever that means. Stick with the 215s; if you want a wider tire that is damn-near close to the stock height get 215/40R17s - they are something like 0.6% larger which means when your speedometer is saying 60 mph you're really going 60.6 mph.

Magnum...I am running nankang's and have seen several other 225/45/r17

So my new question is: How do I find out if it is possible to put a different tire size on my wheels? let say a 215/40/r17? I am realizing I am clueless on wheels/tires...and pretty much cars as a whole...I am learning, but still clueless

now bicycles on the other hand...I know my way around!

I can do the calculation, but I need to know two things. What is the external diameter of the stock wheel and the external diameter of the new tire. You should be able to find that data at www.tirerack.com

Damn /$%$&?$% lord of /$?%$&? tire calculation...SEARCH ENGINE will do it for you.

I've posted a thread the admins should've put a long time ago as a sticky with ALL tire combinations for the P5.
Grumble, (gun)

Magnum...I am running nankang's and have seen several other 225/45/r17

So my new question is: How do I find out if it is possible to put a different tire size on my wheels? let say a 215/40/r17? I am realizing I am clueless on wheels/tires...and pretty much cars as a whole...I am learning, but still clueless

now bicycles on the other hand...I know my way around!
In my post note I was talking about 225/40R17 which some else had referred to; sorry to confuse. I'm assuming your wheels are either 17x7 or 17x7.5 both of which work nicely with these cars. With either of these sizes 215/40R17 is a perfect fit and will keep the speedo calibration nice. Now this is only speculation as we'd need more information on your wheels to make a more education conclusion.

a friend of mine who owns a civic (ghey) went from 15s to 18s at one point, then down to 17s. During this time, apparently he found a place somewhere in the greater seattle area that can "reset" the speedometer and odometer to show the true speed and distance of your car. however.. i remember him complaining that the service cost around $400 so he never had it done. instead, he had a gps system that told him how fast he was going, and simply memorized what speeds he was going when the needle pointed at certain speeds. just had to remember that the faster your speeds, the more off the needle will be.

In any case, I always verify a car when I get it (lest the troopers get to inform me later). Go 10 miles on a lightly travelled interstate with cruise at 60MPH. Note the trip OD and either a stopwatch or a watch with seconds at the beginning mile marker. After 10 miles, each 1/10 of a mile you are off is 1% odometer error. Each 6 seconds you are off versus 10 minutes is 1% speedometer error. Each 10 seconds you are off is 1mph error at 60 (i.e. 10 seconds out of 600)

Last edited:
Back