cai worth it

Here its my dyno sheet.

Hey guys look closely at the peak of both graphs. My stock readings were red and my blue readings are after the intake. Remember to keep in mind that intakes are for midrange power not over all. It didnt comeout very nicely but you get the idea. I can email it to someone if they want to see it clearer.

Attachments

• K&N DYNO.JPG
    K&N DYNO.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 172
  • dyno 2.JPG
    dyno 2.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
s*** you got 10 hp of the K&N even with the chrome rims on!

Mazda3hatchback said:
Hey guys look closely at the peak of both graphs. My stock readings were red and my blue readings are after the intake. Remember to keep in mind that intakes are for midrange power not over all. It didnt comeout very nicely but you get the idea. I can email it to someone if they want to see it clearer.
Where was this dyno run done? Phone number? I've never seen a dyno sheet with the K&N logo on top before. Does this place rent out ad space on their dyno printouts?

Interesting.

I worried about the same thing, but I decided to take a change and buy an AEM CAI. Trust me, it's worth it. Although you don't feel real big physical gains, the change from vrrriiinggg, to vroooouuummm... is definatly worth it, IMO.

Vnnnnnnnnn is more like it. Yeah 2.3 with intake sounds nice specialy in 3rd

He is only getting ~4.5whp peak gain. The 10whp gain is at 3000rpm. The dyno sheet is supporting DA6, that the gains are midrange and in throttle response.

Well guys I told you I was not bsing. I didnt get much overall but like I said intakes are for midrange power not over all. It helps in the shifting. As the dyno sheet that was given to me by K&N engineering themselves while I took my car up to have them install my intake. Remember also that the engine hasnt fully gained the effects of the intake so gains can be higher after driving a 100 more miles. My car is also an automatic too so manuals will probably be higher.

Manual will definantly have a difrent story to tell ;)

Guys, I just received my AEM CAI and as I'm reading this I'm getting more and more confused. The following comments may be ignorant b/c I'm new to the tuner scene, but this is what I've found through research. 1- this is the 1st time I see a claim of 10WHP from a CAI only....are we sure we're not talking 10HP which would clear things up??? 2-The dyno sheet has KNN logo on it b/c it was done by KNN, point is they probably tweaked everything they could while still leaving the car stock in order to be able to advertise it.

Also, I have a question-I'm about to install the CAI, and I have a catback ordered. Is it safe to say that either of these 2 mods ALONE realistically dont give much power, but the 2 COMBINED will? IE: CAI alone = 3-5whp, Catback alone= 3-5whp, BUT CAI + Catback together= 12-18whp? Or do you just do the math and say that the 2 together give 6-10whp???? In other words I hear that you get more power from mods when you combine them with other mods. And I wanted to know if it was true, and also what to expect from the CAI/CatB combination. Also, will it be sluggish off the line????

Thanks for your help!

air box is restricive nad exhaust will be midrange to hi gains...low end may appear to be lagging

Its a 10 horsepower increase at the wheels thats how dynos are done. Second of all K&N didnt tweak anything except their intakes to make sure they dont get SES lights for running to rich or lean. As for the K&N logos thats their so called stationary they use for their dyno sheets. Its not used for advertisement. That dyno was taken off my car only no other cars. Thats why my name is at the top for the stock and intake installed readings.

Relax bro, whats your deal? Did I knock your #'s ANYWHERE in my statement? Did I not say that I'm new to this and I was just putting my 2cents in?

PS-dA6, thanks for the input..Do you think it'll be a significant lag at low end? I'd hate to lose the ability to spin the wheels so easily!

you won't notice the lag till you go back stock. the sound of the exhaust will give you an intoxicating illusion that you are goung as fast or even faster than stock on low end ;)

no harm no foul,

Anyway, da6 I didnt really understand what you posted about noticing the lag when I go stock. Sorry for the ignorance-but can you rephrase?

PS-I'm installin gthe CAI today/tomm, is there any last minute advice anyone has for me? If you have any input on the install(what to do, what not to do, tools needed, dont forget, watch out for, etc...), please fork it over as this is the 1st perf. mod being attempted for me....

if you took the aftermarket exhaust off and put stock parts back on...

The math isn't additive, but at times it can be synergistic.
If the basic engineering of both were crap, you'll have a ton of gain.
If the basic engineering was good, you'll have a lot less gain.

The intake on the 3 does look to be a bottle neck for getting air in.
So If I were a betting man, I'd bet more gain happens there than elsewhere.

So basically, 18whp is not going to happen..with an intake and exhaust, but 10 whp is very doable.

The K&N shows 4.4whp gain, the 10 is ft lbs of torque at 3k rpm.
Even with that, the numbers are sad, and 4-5hp and 20 ft lbs behind what the 5 speed gets.

So if you have an Auto, every bit helps, but a lot of the gain still gets eaten by the slushbox.

Sorry.

From what I can see, the exhaust is not that restrictive, so 3-5hp there is about what you can expect. Dumping the second cat would help, but the EPA and your local state gendarmes would have something to say about it.

He also has chrome rims on...chrome rims on a civic dynoed almost 12 hp less. Who knows what that could yeid for the 3.

Back