CAI vs SRI temps findings

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 1254494" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>lamp3</TD><TD class=alt2>acidbbg, you beat em too it. I was to bust babbling. lol</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 1254504" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>mp5jeff</TD><TD class=alt2>that was a worthless post since acid already said it, oh well.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

(lol)

one must remember that this only applies when the intercooler you have is efficient enough to keep up with the volume and temperature of the air going into it.. a stock MSP intercooler can not on hotter days, so a CAI is more beneficial than a SRI. but if you dont experience that hot of days, or have an improved intercooler than it wont matter much at all.

it doesn't matter what IC you have, a sri or cai wont matter once the air hits the turbo, is what im trying to explain, do you realize how hot a turbo gets? especially the backhousing...

yes, but I am saying that a less efficient intercooler can only lower the temps a certain percentage. a perfectly efficient intercooler will lower temps to ambient air. but a stock MSP intercooler (mostly because of location, and loack of direct air hitting it) will not be able to attain 100% efficiency, thus it will only lower the temps as a function of the intake air temp.. YES I know how hot a compressor gets but a cooler starting point will = a lower ending point in this scenario.... ESPECIALLY when the starting temp is a 40 deg difference (as found in this particular test)

now if the engine layout were different, then we wouldn't see such drastic differences in temperatures between the SRI and the CAI... I would personally prefer a SRI, but if the angles required are tight and many, then you might as well put it in the fender. but in a given engine bay where there is room, or where the filter doesn't sit within direct pathway of the radiator fan then we wouldn't see such a huge difference in temp, and the whole argument would be rendered moot

Last edited:
Yeah like I said I have no facts to back up what I said, it just didn't make sence to me. You guys seems to know more than I do so I guess you are probably right but that seems like a big difference for just intercooler.

I mean after I read/learn more about them I might agree with you 100%. But right now to me if you have a tube heated to a certain temperature and you blow air throught it. Cold air vs room temp air (just an example) the colder air will come through that tube cooler. Now turbo's may change that (like I said I don't know everything about em) but that example is why it confuses me.

I get that the turbo is way freaking hot. But doesn't what I said make sence no matter what the temp... I mean it could be a difference of 1* I don't know but isn't that theory true?

Last edited:
Yeah...but I also think that we may see a 10 degree of difference on the temps after intercooled.

Its all matter of physics. If the turbine heats a 100F (ambient air) to 200F, it maybe has its surface @ 260F and transfering 100F more to that air...so I believe that If we get 150F on the intake, we may see 240F on the charged air. Then you do the math with the efficiency of the intercooler.

like I said it is pointless to argue over what it might due. Some one who is rich and has countless amounts of hours to spend should look into it. I'd rather argue over proven facts and the affect of a lower than ambient tempature reading in the intake track with proven tests. [/endless bored rant]

MSP Chris said:
but it goes into a ___ degree turbo making this irrelevant, the sole purpose of the intercooler is to cool the charge after it comes out of a bizillion degree turbo.

re-reading those results...

Why not hook a IAT monitor to tb to intercooler pipe and try sri vs. cai temp differences..?

BTW refering this to turbo application because from what I see he is in fact a turbo protege. These questions need not apply to N/A applications.
Good idea.

I'm sure it will help though.

32.jpg

I would be willing to bet there is a hood scoop designed to get cool air to that turbo...

believe me I understand the point of no intake piping. its the same reason why the turbo has a velocity stack, to get as much volume of air as possible into the system. but 90% of the 6 second drag cars you talked about have the turbo mounted on the fron of the car with a hole ported in the sheetmetal so direct cool air gets into the velocity stack.

as you can see the only thing they modified on the front end body parts was bending the hood a bit to fit the bigass turbo it looks like =)

That car looks cool but I have to agree all of the cars I have seen (import dragsters) all have the turbo out in the open, or a pipe drawing air into it. I'm not saying no car can be different cause obviously you know one. But I think a larger percentage has what I and others mentioned above.

Back