CAI or SRI for the 1.6??

I Have a pretty good deal on both of them for the protege 99' 1.6

Just wondering which one gives you more power

Don't forget hesistations problems

Thx!

CAI hands down - cooler intake air = denser charge = more power (and the 1.6 needs all the help it can get ... I owned one). Disconnect the battery, step on the brakes to discharge any residual power, install the CAI, re-connect the battery and drive it like you stole for a few days to train the computer.
DSC00432.JPG

more power? not going to happen with a cai or any other na modes you decide to purchase, guaranteed.
sound better, at most. don't expect any gains.

CAI hands down - cooler intake air = denser charge = more power (and the 1.6 needs all the help it can get ... I owned one). Disconnect the battery, step on the brakes to discharge any residual power, install the CAI, re-connect the battery and drive it like you stole for a few days to train the computer.
DSC00432.JPG

thx so much for the hint man! but this fuckers cost 250 from injen :S

Any cheaper one??

cause i had a 1.6, and the injen, and there is no gains. sounds better thats it..the 1.6 is gutless and adding a cai or sri will do nothing but remove the plastic junk from your engine bay, look nicer, and sound better. maybe 1 hp?

Personally I don't think the 1.6 is worth modding for performance. If your gonna go for anything, go for looks. Rims, tint, drop, etc.

Personally I don't think the 1.6 is worth modding for performance. If your gonna go for anything, go for looks. Rims, tint, drop, etc.

Well - I didn't want to discourage the guy, but I too came to the conclusion (it's why I bookmarked this site and came back when I had a Pro with a 2.0) Combining a CAI with a free-flowing exhaust can't hurt, but if you really want to make some power, the 1.6 takes to boost quite nicely.

Well - I didn't want to discourage the guy, but I too came to the conclusion (it's why I bookmarked this site and came back when I had a Pro with a 2.0) Combining a CAI with a free-flowing exhaust can't hurt, but if you really want to make some power, the 1.6 takes to boost quite nicely.

Yeah, I suppose I should've told him the 1.6 boost good. But I just don't see a point in dropping that kind of money on a 1.6. Like I said, its a looks kind of car I suppose unless your willing to spend the money.

Last edited:
^and its cheap too(boom05)
i wouldn't even be able to justify spending $4g on a kit for only 170 hp, still not worth it.

and by better, we mean 'quicker'
the protege screams reliability, and thats what you get.

Definitely, I should have clarified. The Protege is a great car. I've had mine for over a year and a half now and love it. But like I said, if your looking for mods, do looks and save the money you would be spending on performance mods for something that already has the performance.

Definitely, I should have clarified. The Protege is a great car. I've had mine for over a year and a half now and love it. But like I said, if your looking for mods, do looks and save the money you would be spending on performance mods for something that already has the performance.

got it..but i have no money now and lots of bills to pay

thats why i was going for some easy mods on the protege

Back