Cabin Filters for Canadians

:
2015 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
Good day,

Like some others on here I needed a new cabin filter and the dealership wanted $40 plus $30 to install!!

I had quite the difficult time finding something that was reasonable in price and didn't cost a fortune for shipping. A few people provided info to help in my search but most either didn't ship to Canada or cost $20+ for shipping.

Here is a product on Amazon for Ecogard KC10189 cabin filters. It say CX-5 2012-2014 but I have a 2015 and it works - looks very similar to OEM and appears to be good quality in that it is solid and fit. The box says it replaces WIX 24103 or Champ CAF1907P.

3 filters with shipping and the horrendous exchange rate still came to $60.70... or about 1/2 price versus the dealership if I bought and installed them myself.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Now a rant on filters - I tell you it is quite amazing all the things we filter in our life. Furnace, humidifier, vacuum, pool, water, etc. I really sometimes think it is a bit of scam - until I see all the dog hair the furnace filter keeps out of the system. I still don't like buying them but have resigned myself to the fact things need to be filtered - except for this post.

Paul

Don't pay for someone to install the cabin air filter. Look around online for the instructions - it takes less than 5 minutes and is very easy.

I am not sure if you're sharing this with other people? I posted this to show Canadians where they can buy it themselves (and therefore install). It literally takes 30 seconds to remove the old filter and replace the new filter.

It is awful dealers do this because it makes me question if everything they do is marked up so much. If a $10 filter ends up costing $70 installed, what does that say for anything else done at a dealership! Is this the only item they can make a living - I doubt it.

I rarely replace cabin air filters in my cars, but simply vacuum clean them instead. My cars are garaged and the filters really don't get that dirty!

Good day,

Like some others on here I needed a new cabin filter and the dealership wanted $40 plus $30 to install!!

I had quite the difficult time finding something that was reasonable in price and didn't cost a fortune for shipping. A few people provided info to help in my search but most either didn't ship to Canada or cost $20+ for shipping.

Here is a product on Amazon for Ecogard KC10189 cabin filters. It say CX-5 2012-2014 but I have a 2015 and it works - looks very similar to OEM and appears to be good quality in that it is solid and fit. The box says it replaces WIX 24103 or Champ CAF1907P.

3 filters with shipping and the horrendous exchange rate still came to $60.70... or about 1/2 price versus the dealership if I bought and installed them myself.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Now a rant on filters - I tell you it is quite amazing all the things we filter in our life. Furnace, humidifier, vacuum, pool, water, etc. I really sometimes think it is a bit of scam - until I see all the dog hair the furnace filter keeps out of the system. I still don't like buying them but have resigned myself to the fact things need to be filtered - except for this post.

Paul

I haven't looked yet but was wondering as well. Have you checked with Canadian Tire? They usually have filters for almost everything.

Canadian tire have the WIX cabin air filter for around $45.99 +tax, they have to order it it's not listed in parts book

Canadian tire have the WIX cabin air filter for around $45.99 +tax, they have to order it it's not listed in parts book

I thought that price was outrageous until I realized $1 USD = $1.45 CAN

Still seems too much though. I think I only paid $12 or $13 (USD) last time I ordered one in the US.

I thought that price was outrageous until I realized $1 USD = $1.45 CAN

Still seems too much though. I think I only paid $12 or $13 (USD) last time I ordered one in the US.

yes Canadian money is way down ,at the of the month i'm heading to Florida just bought $1000.00 US money for $1461.50 CDN ouchhhhhh...

IMO... diversification necessary with all investments.... from what I have read too much invested in fossil fuels & commodities

Which makes these a good deal $20 (CAD) for us Canucks, after shipping and conversion from US $. I couldn't find anything close to that - the ones from CT would cost more than OEM from Mazda. There were a couple other Canadian spots online but shipping was more than from the US! All the other sources I checked came out to $30 or $40. I figured for that I would just buy it from the dealership.

All in all, I have spent too much time to save $20 :) I hope when these 3 wear out that these will be more commonly available.

On a bit of a similar note, anyone purchase a replacement engine air filter easily in Canada?

Regards,
Paul

Last edited:
you might want to check scarborough mazda in east TO
close enough you could pick up parts when in the great metro area :))) and avoid shipping
and they seem to do a fair bit of online sales
good for finding/asking about part numbers too

otherwise - yeah, we get hosed with exchange rates and BS shipping /handling charges from a lot of us and even worldwide retailers
a lot of asian online retailers pretty decent for s/h (altho lengthy timelines with some) but the exchange rate is still gonna hurt for a while

All in all, I have spent too much time to save $20 :)
That's true. But a penny saved is still a penny earned.

I was wondering are there Mazda dealers in Canada doing the online business like our sponsor in the US? Here they normally give us 20% off the MSRP, and free shipping if you purchased enough amount.

there's a few - like scarborough mentioned above who's prices for some things are better than most dealers, but generally competition seems better in the US IMO

owners vs dealers vs market numbers key factors
we're just not that big a market as the US in this case except for the large metro areas where economies of scale are better for the consumer

some online vendors, (ie) bestbuy, in the tech/electronics sector, a lot closer to the us situation

Last edited:
I looked up CX-5 cabin filter availability on some of my local auto parts websites and one in particular lists 2 different brands around the C$35-40 range, BUT, a third one was C$18!! The brand name is Ultra-8, apparently a lower priced NAPA Auto sourced cabin filter from China. Ultra-8 also makes engine air and oil filters, that some reviewers say to stay away from because they are cheap Chinese crap. BUT, others say that the engine air filter in particular looks exactly like NAPA's higher priced engine oil filters. In this case I'm thinking that an $18 cabin filter will do an adequate job at filtering cabin air!!

Filter is a filter. You just have to change it more often. It's pretty easy to change it, it's take 15 seconds

Envoy de mon SM-G900W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

Where is the cabin air filter in a 2015 CX-5? I can't even find it mentioned in the Owner's Manual.

Never mind. I found a youTube video.

Last edited:
Guys .. for Heaven's sake this is a cabin air filter, not the engine air filter. This is what I do and have been doing for AGES. Buy a standard HVAC furnace filter. MERV rating 8, not higher (too constrictive). Take the cabin filter, cut to size the HVAC filter and put that in.

Back