Bye,bye CX5....

Snvl pearl

:
Mazda 2013 CX 9 grand touring
I loved everything about my white GT cx5 except the seats.....after a 12 hr trip in Nov my back has not been the same.....finally came down to the car.... After scheduling appt at the chiropractor, we were at Mazda for an oil change and looking around the lot. I planted myself in the front seat of a gray CX 9..... It was heavenly....much softer leather, no cutting into my shoulder blades....all the bells of the cx5.... I did not want to get out. My husband asked for a test drive, and long story short we came home w it! I have never done anything like this, but I was so miserable, and was starting to have major anxiety about driving. I am really sad about the lesser gas mileage the cx9 gets, but we will see if everything else makes up for it.....so far very happy..... But the CX 5 is a great vehicle- Awesome features and gas mileage!

Seats and comfort are a very personal thing. Most reviews list the CX5 as very comfortable with excellent driver positioning. I found myself somewhat uncomfortable at first, I had to adjust my lumbar and move the seatback rearward to be happy. Good luck with the 9.

I actually have zero complaints about the CX-5's seat back. I think the lumbar, waist and shoulder bolster is near perfect for me (5'11" 175lbs) as a daily driver. This is coming from an Infiniti QX which is far beyond the capabilities of the CX-5 and CX-9 in terms of comfort and luxury. For the seat bottom, I think it could use longer and more pronounced lower thigh support. I often find myself seemingly sliding down the seat even with the seat bottom rear at its lowest setting and the front at near its highest. It is simply TOO short. Like baddad said, seats and comfort is a very personal thing.

Yes, absolutely, seat comfort is a very individual thing...I had some concerns the first night home, and my hubby said I just needed to get used to it. I am 5'3" and 120 lbs.... The bolsters in the back hit me right in the bottom of my shoulder blades and no matter how I adjusted felt them pushing on my upper back. The leather is very hard, w no give, so ended up buying a gel cushion for extended trips... I really tried, all positions, the lumbar was ok, but hard and wonder if it hit me in the wrong place. I think the seats are designed for taller bigger people... It used to be dealers would let you take a car home overnight, so hard to make a decision after a 15 min test drive....

Yes, absolutely, seat comfort is a very individual thing...I had some concerns the first night home, and my hubby said I just needed to get used to it. I am 5'3" and 120 lbs.... The bolsters in the back hit me right in the bottom of my shoulder blades and no matter how I adjusted felt them pushing on my upper back. The leather is very hard, w no give, so ended up buying a gel cushion for extended trips... I really tried, all positions, the lumbar was ok, but hard and wonder if it hit me in the wrong place. I think the seats are designed for taller bigger people... It used to be dealers would let you take a car home overnight, so hard to make a decision after a 15 min test drive....

I am having a hard time with this, pictures needed.

I can see why people don't like the firmer seats of the CX-5. But I really do like them as with a bit of padding for lumbar, it helps keep correct seating posture.

Awww, sorry you had to say byebye to your CX-5! But you have to do what you have to do, right? :)
I"m 5'3 too and I haven't found the seats uncomfortable but yes, comfort is a personal thing. I can't stand a hard mattress or a too soft mattress. Like Goldilocks, it has to be juuuuust right. :)

Congrats on your new CX-9. Comfort is important and you have to enjoy what you drive. I too have difficulty with the seats on long drives.

Seats

I have been complaining about this for the entire year I have owned the vehicle. The seats are AWFUL!

And it has nothing to do with being short. I am 6 foot and weigh 185. I am in the military and in good shape. But when I complain about the seats people have suggested I am overweight or need to work on my back muscles or other such ridiculous assertions. How about maybe the seats are poorly designed. So badly designed that both I and the original poster are deciding to give up a car that we love because of this one issue.

Wish someone at Mazda would at least apoligize and better yet, find a solution.
In the meantime I dropped $500 on a cushion from OregonAero. It makes it so I can be in the car for a half hour at a time without much pain.

Can't you buy car seats anymore?
Changing seats to sporty type's was popular at one time.

At 5'5" and 140 pound I have no problems up to 2.5 hours, my longest trip to date.

I have been complaining about this for the entire year I have owned the vehicle. The seats are AWFUL!

And it has nothing to do with being short. I am 6 foot and weigh 185. I am in the military and in good shape. But when I complain about the seats people have suggested I am overweight or need to work on my back muscles or other such ridiculous assertions. How about maybe the seats are poorly designed. So badly designed that both I and the original poster are deciding to give up a car that we love because of this one issue.

Wish someone at Mazda would at least apoligize and better yet, find a solution.
In the meantime I dropped $500 on a cushion from OregonAero. It makes it so I can be in the car for a half hour at a time without much pain.

That's really odd - I'm young (mid 20's), 6 feet tall, and exactly 185lbs as well and in very good shape too. I have found these seats to be some of the most comfortable I've sat in. I guess that really goes to show that seat preference is unique to the individual. .

That's really odd - I'm young (mid 20's), 6 feet tall, and exactly 185lbs as well and in very good shape too. I have found these seats to be some of the most comfortable I've sat in. I guess that really goes to show that seat preference is unique to the individual. .

I also find the seats comfortable.

But maybe you have to like firm seats, not cushy seats. I ride my Harley from Florida to North Carolina to our cabin...no problem. Maybe my butt, over the years, has become accustomed to firm seats.

I'm finding GT seats to be comfy, but I've only driven 300+ miles in a day. No back pain ever after driving it.

Folks, these seats are average by far.

Go sit in a new Altima, Pathfinder, or Rogue... Nissan has NAILED what a great seat is in a fair priced vehicle. I live in my CX-5 and the seats are the only complaint I have. Not enough to get rid of the car, but I do wish they offered more in regardless to comfort.

Own other cars, honda, nissan, infiniti and I actually like the cx-5 seats the most. Very comfortable. I like the stiff seat. The rear seats (although I hardly get the chance to sit in the back) but it's just as comfortable. Zero complains. Had semi-long trips on it, about 4 hours etc and zero complains whatsoever. Lumber support also very good. I can see how the front seats may be an issue if someone has a big bottom because the seats are not that wide.

Back