Buzzing sound coming from under hood after turning off car? Please help me out.

BB33

Hello all,

I am new to the site, and have a question. I recently purchased a 2014 Mazda CX5 and I noticed something today I wanted to run by you all to see if it is normal. I was driving today like normal and came home and parked my car in my garage, my garage was shut and after I turned the engine off by pressing engine start stop button I got out of the car and I heard this buzzing sound that lasted maybe 30 seconds and then sounded like something shut off, sounded like sommething under the hood. Is that normal? I have never heard it before because usually my garage is open when I get out of the vehicle or I am outside and you can hear all the background noise such as other cars so I could not hear it before. Is that normal operation for the vehicle? Maybe it supposed to make that sound when you shut it off I just didnt notice it. If someone could please help me out here that would be great. Thank you. sounds like a buzzing sound under the engine area but it shut off after about 30 seconds. I was in the garage with the door closed so maybe it echos differently because usually I am outside. Thanks.

I haven't heard my CX-5 do it, but I've had a couple of cars that kept the radiator fan going for a bit after shutting off. Always in the summer time, though.

Mine does the same thing. Don't know exactly what it is, but I figure it's the fuel pump doing its thing or something of that nature. Modern cars almost always do this kind of thing after they are turned off. My last one (2007 Nissan Frontier p/u) would be perfectly silent for about thirty seconds and then buzz for about fifteen and then silence again. Go figure.

Hello all,

I am new to the site, and have a question. I recently purchased a 2014 Mazda CX5 and I noticed something today I wanted to run by you all to see if it is normal. I was driving today like normal and came home and parked my car in my garage, my garage was shut and after I turned the engine off by pressing engine start stop button I got out of the car and I heard this buzzing sound that lasted maybe 30 seconds and then sounded like something shut off, sounded like sommething under the hood. Is that normal? I have never heard it before because usually my garage is open when I get out of the vehicle or I am outside and you can hear all the background noise such as other cars so I could not hear it before. Is that normal operation for the vehicle? Maybe it supposed to make that sound when you shut it off I just didnt notice it. If someone could please help me out here that would be great. Thank you. sounds like a buzzing sound under the engine area but it shut off after about 30 seconds. I was in the garage with the door closed so maybe it echos differently because usually I am outside. Thanks.

Looks like you might be new to the internet, so here's some simple etiquette for you for the future: Don't crosspost. It's rude. Figure out where you want to post and post there. Cross posting makes it less likely you will get a helpful response, not more... Sorry for the rant, but it's a pet peeve...

Every mazda that I own does it. My speed 6, CX-7 and CX-5. Pretty sure its the fuel pump but dont quote me on that. If you turn the key on to auxiliary (so all the dashboard lights go on) you will hear it constantly

Thanks everyone, so do some of you have a 2014 cx 5 that does that? I hope its normal I mean it couldnt be a problem right?

I don't know. I mean, you started three threads and got multiple answers in each saying it's normal. So you tell me, BB33.

Anyone else notice this noise with their cx5 after turning engine off?

There's always something that's still powered on for a purpose. Say you took a 30 minute drive in hot summer weather and you shut your car off, chances are you'll hear the radiator fan stay on for a few seconds. This is true with turbo cars to help cool off the hot turbos. Some models may still have the AC system on for a few seconds. The car's ecu may still be doing something. Its normal.

Another way to think of it is when you shut a home computer off. You click the off button or shut down button. It doesn't just turn off. It goes through some progressive steps and processes before shutting down completely. It shuts down certain programs still open and running. It attempts to save files. It may download updates before shutting down.

That said, if you shut off your new car and consistently hear no sound afterwards. Then you should worry.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice this noise with their cx5 after turning engine off?

Don't mean to sound rude here, but I don't know how many times and in how many threads you need everyone to tell you this is NORMAL. Just think of it as the car winding down after a workout or something...

BB33 a.k.a. Brad33 don't listen to anyone here, this may be a HUGE issue. I suggest you drive the car off the nearest cliff, this will eliminate the noise. Trust me and good luck.

Probably a pump checking the vacuum lines for leaks...a common automobilism for the last 10 to 15 years...

Back