Buying MP5

Krazee

Contributor
:
'04 Mazda 3
Hi I am new here. I am in the market of buying a manual MP5.
I have two questions.
What is the difference between an 02 and an 03 mp5?

I went to see an 03 mp5 with 84k miles. The car looks good on the outside. The inside is not bad, the floor mats needs replacing. The tires will need will need to be replaced after this coming winter the latests. The back breaks need to be replaced: rotors and calipers. The engine is leaking power stearing fluid through the power steering pump (power steering died at the end of the test drive). The engine is leaking oil through the engine gasket. I had an mazda 626 which had the gasket changed at around 85k miles so I am thinking it might need changing. The dealer said he will fix the power steering and let the car go for around 6.5k. Now to sure it this will be a good purchases. My uncle (godfather) is a mechanic so I know he can help me fix the car but I am not sure if this car is a just one big problem. Any suggestions??

Thanx in advance!!

Krazee said:
Hi I am new here. I am in the market of buying a manual MP5.
I have two questions.
What is the difference between an 02 and an 03 mp5?

I went to see an 03 mp5 with 84k miles. The car looks good on the outside. The inside is not bad, the floor mats needs replacing. The tires will need will need to be replaced after this coming winter the latests. The back breaks need to be replaced: rotors and calipers. The engine is leaking power stearing fluid through the power steering pump (power steering died at the end of the test drive). The engine is leaking oil through the engine gasket. I had an mazda 626 which had the gasket changed at around 85k miles so I am thinking it might need changing. The dealer said he will fix the power steering and let the car go for around 6.5k. Now to sure it this will be a good purchases. My uncle (godfather) is a mechanic so I know he can help me fix the car but I am not sure if this car is a just one big problem. Any suggestions??

Thanx in advance!!

Okay thats a pretty good price, but with all those issues it sounds like it has been driven to hell and back. I would really think about this one. Also the 02 pretty much all had roof racks factory installed, 02 does not have side blinker light(this could be good or bad dependong on what you like. 02 has a little different setup than the 03 in the rear of the car where the spare tire is, especially if it has the rear subwoofer factory installed.

I am going back to see the car tomorrow. I talked with someone from the dealer and they said they fixed the power steerting which I doubt since the pump needed replacing.

I think I'd shy away from that deal unless they fix some more of the issues or give you a better price, that P5 sounds like someone abused the heck out of it. My car has just turned 82K and doesn't have any of those issues.

I would continue searching. Sounds like it was abused and you would be stuck with the headaches.

unless your getting these cars dirt cheap, i wouldn't suggest investing in them. sounds they're gonna take more money and time out of your pockets.

I spoke with my uncle who said he would go with me to check the car out tomorrow. He also added that with the all those things that he will be fixing that the car is not worth that much money and to see if they will let it go under 5k

Krazee said:
I spoke with my uncle who said he would go with me to check the car out tomorrow. He also added that with the all those things that he will be fixing that the car is not worth that much money and to see if they will let it go under 5k

i completely agree. I was reading the thread and this was the first thing i thought of. Definitely bring your uncle along and let him assess the car's condition. He can probably get a dollar estimate in his head of how much all the repair costs will add up to. you could then use that as leverage. GL with the purchase.

Too bad you are so far away.! i am planning to sell mine 82k, with tons of upgrades for around $8000, drives beautifully zero leak =p

I decided not to buy it. I found another one: red 02 wiht 49k miles. Will go check it out this week

Yea, I would have stayed away from that one. If it had all those problems now, I can only image what it would have further down the road.

I figured whats the point of buying a car which will need to so much work and I will not drive it for a while

Went to see the car. It was decent, did need some basic work but overall nice. The dealer wanted 10,990, he only dropped it $100 so I told him to keep it

Back