Buy now or wait for the next model?

QBA

Hi Guys,

We are ready to buy a Mazda 5, but we could as well wait a few more month until the end of the year :)

My questions are:

Should we wait for the next year model?

Does any one knows when does the new model will be on the market?

What new/improved features the new model may have?

Thanks

Alex

Well, the current Mazda5 is a 2012 model, so there isn't going to be a next year for a while. (their may be a mid year changeup of options, but I haven't heard such things yet)

Also, the 2012 was a refresh. I wouldn't expect much to change in the next few years.

(Also, I wouldn't know what Canada is getting)

Only thing with the 2012, is I think MAZDA is playing tricks on their trims.

They probably have so many of the 'GS' body that they decided to make fake 'GT' out of those GS by adding
side sills, spoilers, 17-inch alloy wheels, and some other features.

Meanwhile the original GT, (the one with a hole in the roof, and covered with a moonroof) is now called 'GT+luxurypackage'.

if going for 2012, I would go for either the GS or the 'GT+luxury package'. The normal 'GT' is just a GS makeover.

Soon the Mazda5 will receive the Sky-G engine(s) and Sky transmission(s), but who knows exactly when that'll happen. It might be next year but it's probably two years away at least. Might as well buy now if you're looking at getting one now or in the next few months.

Yeah, I know the 2012 mz3 is going to have the sky engines, but I haven't heard about when the 5 is going to get them.

Thanks Orangutan and Rockin03mp5,

Sorry for my ignorance but what is an sky engine? a better engine made but a different manufacturer?

Thanks

Alex

Soon the Mazda5 will receive the Sky-G engine(s) and Sky transmission(s), but who knows exactly when that'll happen. It might be next year but it's probably two years away at least. Might as well buy now if you're looking at getting one now or in the next few months.

This is the reason I didn't buy the 2010 5, because I was waiting for Sky. Now I heard that Mazda 5 won't be getting sky for 24-36 months. I couldn't wait that long.

Hopefully they will bring the sky-d deisel to North America in the mazda5. oh and I'll wait for the next model refresh cycle. Hopefully by then they'll be finished with the "grinning idiot" front facia's! I cant believe this is spreading across the whole lineup!

Last edited:
Hello all! First post here. I'm very impressed with the 5, and don't know if I'm patient enough to wait for the next refresh. The grinning look and the Nagare lines grow on me - used to hate them but somehow I like them a lot now :D I'm itching to trade my 07 Odyssey EX for this, just to get my hand on that 6sp stick. A Skyactiv-D engine would see sales of the 5 sky-rocket. But that probably takes a couple years for them to put in.

I dontknow, at the rate my 5 is lasting (2006 model) it'll likely be 2016 before I'm even thing about replacement. By then it should be well north of 300,000km. Hopefully by then Mazda will have moved away fro me te anime front ends!!

I dontknow, at the rate my 5 is lasting (2006 model) it'll likely be 2016 before I'm even thing about replacement. By then it should be well north of 300,000km. Hopefully by then Mazda will have moved away fro me te anime front ends!!

I like the 2010 model look a lot better. But missed out on the Mazda deals at $15k USD new. So I ended up with 2012. Though I don't like the look of it, I didn't buy it for the looks. I hope to make mine last till the sky motors come, and get rid of it by then.

Hello all! First post here. I'm very impressed with the 5, and don't know if I'm patient enough to wait for the next refresh. The grinning look and the Nagare lines grow on me - used to hate them but somehow I like them a lot now :D I'm itching to trade my 07 Odyssey EX for this, just to get my hand on that 6sp stick. A Skyactiv-D engine would see sales of the 5 sky-rocket. But that probably takes a couple years for them to put in.

Same here - when we saw a 2012 parked next to a 2008 in the dealer's lot it sealed the deal for us.
We love the 'Nagare' lines in the side, and even the large front grill (not all that large if you look at new Audis, or Ford Edge for example) works.
We didn't care at all for the older model's verticle, Alterra-style tailights. But as they say horses for courses....

Defintely try out a 6-sp. After driving both the manual and automatic both my wife and I preferred the stick.

Last edited:
Back