Bushing ideas

Cleverfrog

Binford Tools
Contributor
:
1989 RX-7 GXL Blaze Red
Has anyone tried UHMW or Delrin bushing in place of urethane bushings? Urethane is know for its squeakiness when dry and when you put grease to it, it attracts dirt. Since I have access to UHMW, I think I'm going to machine some up and see how they do.

would you rather have squeak or clunk? urethane will squeak, but the other stuff will clunk. take your pick...

bah...guess I'll stick with spraying white lithium under there every now and then...

would you rather have squeak or clunk? urethane will squeak, but the other stuff will clunk. take your pick...

Have you tried the others? Im just curious because, where I work we use mostly UHMW and it is extremely long lasting.

Have you tried the others? Im just curious because, where I work we use mostly UHMW and it is extremely long lasting.

if its anything like delrin, then it will be hard and clunkity. delrin is used on race cars for bushings since it is hard and wont deflect under load like rubber or urethane will. the trade-off is the additional noise it transmits. if you can live with the additional noise and harshness, go for it.

be aware that some of the bushings on the protege are meant to deflect, such as the rear inner bushing on the front a-arm.

if its anything like delrin, then it will be hard and clunkity. delrin is used on race cars for bushings since it is hard and wont deflect under load like rubber or urethane will. the trade-off is the additional noise it transmits. if you can live with the additional noise and harshness, go for it.

be aware that some of the bushings on the protege are meant to deflect, such as the rear inner bushing on the front a-arm.

I'll get some made up next week. The msp makes plenty noises already. 1 more wont hurt lol.

Back