Burning Oil

Eds mp5

Looks like i have a problem! (im new at this) I have the spool stage three turbo kit and have been running 12psi for about 4 months now. It looks like that high boost has finally caught up with me!! (but it was fun while it lasted) ive been running through oil like there is no tomorow, there doesn't seem to be smoke bellowing out of the tail pipe, but there is definately the smell of burning synthetic oil in the exhaust. I thought at first i was just leaking oil as i have already had my oil lines replaced onced because they were leaking. After leaving it sit for a week and seeing no pools under the car i went to plan 2. I think i have blown a gasket somewhere. Im going for a compression test next week to see what the problem is exactly.

I planning for the worst - but it may work out better. If im taking apart the engine, which im thinking i may have to do (winter project) What should i plan to upgrade?

Oh and any input on diagnosing the problem would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

if you have been running 12psi without an aux fuel pump or upgraded one intank, be prepared for an engine rebuild.
do the compression/leak test and let us know

is the stage 3 micro tech.... Im confused since spool changed his staging around..

Could possibly be that the cylinder wall may have small imperfections that cause the rings not to seal properly. I had this problem a couple of rebuilds ago. Redline oil is expensive when you have to buy 4 courts a week. :eek:

holly crap i hope this is the microtech if not your cyls walls might be toast sounds like mad blow by, fried rings, how does the car run off boost and on boost?

nope no microtech.. Under boost it runs pretty good. if i didn't notice the oil disapearing i woudn't have thought there was a problem!

It sound like the same thing linux had. Im up at about 4 quarts of motol a week.

Ill keep you guys posted on my findings.

Ed

LinuxRacr said:
Could possibly be that the cylinder wall may have small imperfections that cause the rings not to seal properly. I had this problem a couple of rebuilds ago. Redline oil is expensive when you have to buy 4 courts a week. :eek:

yes it is...i just bought a few gallons last week when i ordered some mt-90... cost about 30$ a gallon.

How is your return line? What does it look like? You might not have a good return line.
Check the piping for any sign of oil (leaking past the turbo seals).

If you have oil in the piping you're blowing it through the turbo seals and the return line is likely the culprit (or at least it was on my car)!

that would be my guess to,un bolt ur IC and check for oily residue on the IC piping and inside the IC,if there is then thats ur problem,also it could be blown turbo but ur hitting boost so im not counting on that one,neway good luck

**I was wondering how many engines have blown so far? How many blown engines have we all heard of so far?**
I should have updated everyone sooner on my situation. Here it is though, I blew my engine over the holiday. I have had mine in the shop since the first week I bought it complaining of coolant leaks, hesitation, grinding noises, etc. It was revving high, and so we decided to take it to a better dealership (Browning in Cerritos), since Don Kott (Carson) lost its franchise. (Go figure, the Pre-Delivery inspection was done terribly, they didn't even fill my washer fluid or check that leak in the coolant, or clean the black sticky stuff from my paint) At any rate, the car died on the way to Browning, and had to be towed there. A clutch, throw out bearing, some radiator hoses, and coolant hoses all were replaced, and the flywheel resurfaced. The car went in on a Monday, I got it back Thursday night. Friday night, I drove from California to Las Vegas (about 4 hours). With average highway speeds, the engine blew a hole in the rod. I have never taken my car to the track or even street raced anyone. So there is no way they can say it was customer abuse. They are saying some ground straps were disconnected, and my gauges and oil cap were "modifications" that may have changed settings. BS...Anyone have any input, has anyone been able to overcome these problems?

If you blew the engine AFTER they worked on it, and they say it's because of ground straps disconnected, that tells me that THEY forgot to reconnect the grounds.

I think you should do some testing first. Start with a wet and dry compression test, both hot and cold. Then do a leakdown test. If all of these test's are good you have another problem.

Do you have your hose from the valve cover going to the intake before the turbo? What is you AFR at idle, light throttle, part throttle and WOT?

Did you try to run another type oil, what weight oil are you running?

You may not have a big prblem at all.

Thanks again

Later..........Nick

We need more details to "Paint" a better picture of what is going on.

What other things have you upgraded. Etc...

igdrasil said:
if you have been running 12psi without an aux fuel pump or upgraded one intank, be prepared for an engine rebuild.
do the compression/leak test and let us know

12 psi will not be the same in every car. It is the CFM/ air flow that would cause you to lean out. CFM of air flow would depend on a few factors. Size of turbo, size and placement of intercooler, ported head and intake for some. A car running 12 psi with a small turbo and a s*** intercooler would flow a lot less air then a ported head/intake, bigger turbo and good intercooler. At the same psi you would have more cfm.

Thanks again

Later.........Nick

MPNick said:
12 psi will not be the same in every car. It is the CFM/ air flow that would cause you to lean out. CFM of air flow would depend on a few factors. Size of turbo, size and placement of intercooler, ported head and intake for some. A car running 12 psi with a small turbo and a s*** intercooler would flow a lot less air then a ported head/intake, bigger turbo and good intercooler. At the same psi you would have more cfm.

Thanks again

Later.........Nick

Your point is valid but I think his comment was supposed to be a general statement. Something that could have contributed to his engine failure could have been running lean. Any car that has higher boost than stock must also have the ability to match fuel, regardless.

Brian MP5T said:
Your point is valid but I think his comment was supposed to be a general statement. Something that could have contributed to his engine failure could have been running lean. Any car that has higher boost than stock must also have the ability to match fuel, regardless.

That is how I took it, a general statment only. I have seen many post's about running X boost. I just felt that maybe not all memebrs are aware thet boost/psi is not the same from car to car and set up to set up.

He did not post about broke rods, damaged plugs or blown head gaskets. This would be caused by running lean. If he does in fact have egine damage [bad rings or valve guides] I would think it would be from running rich and not running lean. Fuel wash would hurt rings and valve guides and can cause oil burning.

I am not saying this is the case. Maybe after some testing we can find out what is wrong.

Thanks again

Later........Nick

Back