Burned out LEDs in the third (spoiler) brake light.

YellowMP5

Contributor
:
2002 Mazda Protege5 YELLOW
i got a couple of LED's that apparently have burned out in my high mount brake light, the one in the spoiler. Anyone had this problem before? I haven't taken it apart yet but I am wondering whether i have to get a whole new brake light or can I replace the LEDs?

(attn)

I would take it off and see. I searched, did not see any mention of this before. But it will be something we all face eventually, as our cars age. I have a feeling we should be able to replace them,

I am running through the factory manuals right now, will post what I find.

Here you go Dima. Got the parts list for the entire rear center brake lights section. I think you need #17.

Attachments

• rear hatch brake light.JPG
    rear hatch brake light.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,765
redwagon02 said:
just burn your car now.

ok fucker, you've been on my payroll a long time. russian mafia doesn't take lack of respect lightly. Just wait till I come to NOPI (burn)

RaiderMP5 said:
I would take it off and see. I searched, did not see any mention of this before. But it will be something we all face eventually, as our cars age. I have a feeling we should be able to replace them,

I am running through the factory manuals right now, will post what I find.

thanks bro. looks like the whole lamp assembly must be replaced. looks like its one unit, right?

If you're handy with a soldering iron, it's an easy fix and will cost less than $5. If you were close to me, I'd fix it for free since I have the parts (Radio Shack/Digi-Key parts).

So you have done it before? If so, how about a how-to write up?
Btw, I will be in Atlanta at NOPI, sept 16-19 :D

YellowMP5 said:
So you have done it before? If so, how about a how-to write up?
Btw, I will be in Atlanta at NOPI, sept 16-19 :D

I have not done it before (though I have built and repaired many circuit boards). However, it's just a simple circuit board with a row of LED's and a few resistors. The hardest part is separating the red lense from the housing. It's glued together just like the rest of the lamps on the car. Once apart, it's just a matter of desoldering the defective LED and resoldering the new one (while observing proper polarity).

I have one from an MR2 lying around and it's built the same (though it's not the same thing). When I get time, I can dissassemble it and make a how to. However, that will probably take months in that I'm quite busy currently tearing my house apart to sell it.

Perhaps we can arrange something for Nopi. I might be going, but Nopi just isn't my thing.

Last edited:
Is there any way to get this lens apart to get to the lights themselves? I got one burned out LED. The dealer wants $230.00 for a new assemble!!

bake it in an oven

That might not be such a great idea.

This isn't a headlight assembly which is nothing but plastic and a few metal bits. In this one there is a circuit board plus probably some sort of circuitry to drive the LEDs. Electronics generally don't respond too well to being baked.

Moronic design though if it can't be opened, since LEDs do burn out. Did the OP remove the unit from his car? There might be screws or bolts holding the lens part onto the back.

Mazda 6 Spoiler LEDs/3rd Brake Light Assembly

Just bought my 1st Mazda (Mazda 6 2006) and noticed the spoiler LEDS are not working (Actually sheared off, loose in Assemblye). The spoiler looks like a Mazda Low profile one but I cannot find the LED /Third brake light assembly anywhere on the Web to buy. If anyone has any links where I can get this before I call the dealer please let me know

Thanks

Found a good replacement for the LED spoiler light on my Protege 5.

While I was researching how to replace the spoiler light on my P5, this thread came up pretty often, so I figured I should add my findings & results here.

I found a "smoked" replacement here: http://www.spoilerlights.com/servlet/the-292/17.5%22-Smoked-Mazda-Spoiler/Detail

This is what came in the mail:
P5LightFix_006.jpg

Not terribly "smokey" but it had to look better than what it was replacing:
P5LightFix_001.jpg

There are a couple of good how-to's on removing the spoiler already in the forums, so I won't go into that. Removing the light itself is very simple, just remove the four screws holding it to the spoiler and it pops right out.

I connected the new wires to the old wiring harness and hit the brakes to make sure the new light was working:
P5LightFix_003.jpg

Hey, not bad.

While putting everything back together I notice that the screws on each end of the light were exceptionally snug and I had a hard time lining them up with the holes in the spoiler and figured something was a bit off. Sure enough, each end of the light protruded about 1/16" from the spoiler:
P5LightFix_007.jpg
P5LightFix_008.jpg

No problem. I took the light back out and drilled some wiggle room into the end tabs:
P5LightFix_009.jpg
P5LightFix_010.jpg

Don't know if you'd have to do this on every install but this isn't a Mazda factory part, so be prepared to adjust things as needed.

Result:
P5LightFix_012.jpg
P5LightFix_011.jpg

Perfect!

Before & afters:
P5LightFix_BnA.jpg

Nice. I think I'll keep it.

The new light has been in for a little over month now and is holding up great. Well worth two hours of work and $60 I'd say.

Not bad. I like it and like that it actually fit almost like OEM with some work. If mine ever has any that go out I will really consider this as a replacement.

Back