Bumper paint cracking

slavrenz

:
2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
So here's the deal:

About two years ago, a buddy of mine (who does professional work restoring cars) was going to paint my bumper because it was covered with scratches. Unfortunately, circumstances came up and he was unable to do it. So he gave the paint to a buddy who owns a body shop, and he did the painting (only charged me $125).

Fast forward two years, and I am now noticing several cracks in the paint on the bumper (not the bumper itself), the longest of which is about 6 inches. I was just wondering if it's possible that the crack would show up after all this time due to shoddy labor or materials, or if it's due to something else.

What do you guys think? Is this worth confronting the guy about? I don't have a lot of experience with automotive paint, so I don't really know what to think...:(

He probably didn't use flexible paint additive when he painted the bumper.

If it was bad prep or the right additive wasn't there, 2 years is a long time to go before anything shows up.

If it was bad prep or the right additive wasn't there, 2 years is a long time to go before anything shows up.

I know, but it's not like anything hit the bumper. The bumper itself has no damage, and none of the paint is actually missing - it's just starting to develop cracks.

Id go back to where you got it painted and talk to them and see if they can do anything. BSing about it on the forums isn't going to help you out any.

Well, I thought I'd ask on here first because I don't want to go looking like a complete idiot by suggesting that they forgot to add flex additive.

I won't even have time to get over there for at least another week, but I didn't think it'd hurt to get opinions from folks on here knowledgeable about body work.

Sheesh (boom02)

stealth is just a little bitter because his buddy esmael from egypt doesn't hang out with him anymore and talk about fast japanese cars. don't mind him. sucks about your bumper.

Back