Bulky CX-5 key fob solution

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who finds the Mazda key fob a bit bulky and annoying, especially when you're also trying to jamb your keys, wallet, phone, glasses, etc. into your pockets too. My simple solution was to go with the smallest carabiner I could find and then hook it to my belt-loop with the key fob attached on a ring. This arrangement gets the job done without taking up space in my pockets. Passing along as this may help others with the same issue.

DSCN5720.JPG

Small for the MX-5, large for the CX-5, clipped to the belt loop, secure and always at hand.
IMG_1737.jpg

All I can think of is the scene in “E.T.” where the only thing shown of the government guy was his keychain hanging from his belt. Lol.

I’d be afraid I would snag it on something and not realize that I lost it or it’d rip my belt loop off.

The key fob sizes are getting ridiculous though.

Last edited:

I’d be afraid I would snag it on something and not realize that I lost it or it’d rip my belt loop off.

That may be a concern depending on your lifestyle but it's never been a problem for me and I've been using this clip method for at least 20 years.

Too bad this isn't an option. Would be nice to do away with the keychain part entirely.

e0ienum-jpg.75590

The credit card keyfob is about as thick as three stacked credit cards, and also stores an emergency physical key. Runs off of a coin cell battery and never has to leave your wallet/purse.

Anyone here sign up for the remote start with Mazda on the owners app ? It does somewhat slove that handling of the fob . yet still need it ...and the phone . I was going to but then pulled back as if my phone starts the car ...then someone else can do the same or shut it off ...why Mazda wants a disclosure signed to do that is odd? paranoid possibly

Last edited by a moderator:
Theoretically, there should be an RFID chip inside the fob. This allows the fob to start the car if the battery is dead by placing the chip (that's inside the fob) near the ignition. This is the way the fob on my Kawasaki works. Some folks have removed the RFID chip from this Kawasaki fob and got creative so that the fob doesn't always have to be carried, but the chip has to be near the ignition boss in order to start the bike. Not sure why that was an issue for them since the bike's fob is rather small, especially when compared to the HUGE newer Mazda fobs.

My point? If the HUGE Mazda fob is an issue for you, there may be a solution if you don't mind doing open heart surgery on your fob and removing the RFID chip and placing it into something else. Heck, if you are REALLY gung-ho, have the chip implanted into your right hand somewhere! ;)

Anyone here sign up for the remote start with Mazda on the owners app ? It does somewhat slove that handling of the fob . yet still need it ...and the phone . I was going to but then pulled back as if my phone starts the car ...then someone else can do the same or shut it off ...why Mazda wants a disclosure signed to do that is odd? paranoid possibly
I have this ability on my CX50, but it has drawbacks in that the engine turns off as soon as you open the door. So you need the fob anyway, to restart it once you get in.

I have it but you need to have phone service for it to work and it more often than not does not work. glitzy to say the least. also it is somewhat delayed so if you are walking out to your car and want to start it half the time you are already at your car before it starts and then it shuts off when you open the door. not a great system compared to all my other vehicles.

I have it but you need to have phone service for it to work and it more often than not does not work. glitzy to say the least. also it is somewhat delayed so if you are walking out to your car and want to start it half the time you are already at your car before it starts and then it shuts off when you open the door. not a great system compared to all my other vehicles.
Thanks for that !! It would be annoying if it shuts off just to restart -

Except it's really not. Not even remotely annoying. Been doing it since 2016. :D
yea but there are those of us who have been doing the same with other vehicles that don't do this. So, while, to you it is not a bother to others it is. My ram does not shut off. the gear dial does lock in park so it can't be stolen until you are in it and push the start button. I like that system better but others may not. My other car would die if you put it in drive after remote starting if you did not have the fob so again a theft prevention. different strokes I guess.

yea but there are those of us who have been doing the same with other vehicles that don't do this. So, while, to you it is not a bother to others it is. My ram does not shut off. the gear dial does lock in park so it can't be stolen until you are in it and push the start button. I like that system better but others may not. My other car would die if you put it in drive after remote starting if you did not have the fob so again a theft prevention. different strokes I guess.
That sounds good but why do you have to push the start button? You'd think once it detects your fob you'd be good-to-go. It would know you're the rightful owner, not some punk trying to steal a ride.

That sounds good but why do you have to push the start button? You'd think once it detects your fob you'd be good-to-go. It would know you're the rightful owner, not some punk trying to steal a ride.
beats me I am not a Ram engineer and they did not ask me for input..it is however almost instinctive to push the start button for me anyway so I won't hate on them too much :)

My ram does not shut off. the gear dial does lock in park so it can't be stolen until you are in it and push the start button.
So you still have to push the start button. Just like I've been doing since 2016. How is that less annoying? :D

So you still have to push the start button. Just like I've been doing since 2016. How is that less annoying? :D
because my ram does not shut off it keeps running. if you don't push the start button the shifter is just locked but the car runs without pushing the start button. so the a/c or heat keep working. It is not annoying to me. both my Ram and jeep are the same way. trust me it is less annoying than having the engine shut off when you open the door, especially if you are not ready to leave and maybe loading stuff into your car waiting while waiting for the windows to defrost or cool down. I am glad yours does not annoy you as we all should be happy with our vehicles.

The difference to me is in your situation you over-used your starter twice as many times than his RAM truck.

Back