Broke my Tranny

GOTZOOM?

Fast Shiftin' MoFo
:
Turbo P5
I was putting in the new Beefy Axles I have and they wouldn't go in, so I stuck my finger in the hole and there are peices of gear everywhere in there. Things move around and clank that arn't supposed to. Anyone have a tranny for sale.:D I'll pay shipping. I wish I could find a Mazdaspeed tranny.

Those are your spider gears. You just need to get them put back into place. This is generally what happens to an Open Diff FWD tranny when you don't have an axle on 1 side to keep them in place. I've seen places able to put them back in without tearing the trans apart, but either way its a PITA and your tranny isn't broken.

This would be a good time for an LSD to go in if they have to pull your tranny apart..

I believe deckedoutmp5 found a MSP one for $600. I asked him where he got it, but no response yet.

$600 for a MSP tranny is major hookups. Don't get your hopes up. If one went on sell here it would be snatched up for more than that! Sheesh, the lsd alone is worth that much installed. His dad or uncle probably owns a salvage yard or is in the insurance business. He said his dad has connections.

Gotzoom? Were the pieces you felt shards of metal (not good) or big whole pieces that perhaps can be put back in place like turboge said?

well, I got my finger in there and I could feel the round peices that the axles slide into, they also have the splines in them, I was trying to get them lined back up and a small peice of metal came out on my finger. i got one of thos lined up and put the axle in, but when I turned the axle, it just spun, no gears were moving. One of those round peices I can feel way at the top and is jammed in the spider gears.

you can take out both axles on a auto and the diff will stay in place, the spider gears will not come out. i dont know if you have an auto or stick, even with manual it will be ok. if you broke a c clip inside that might have caused it.

did you get it fixed or any status update?

BTW on the MSP tranny yes, its because of what my dad does. But i have seen a few for like 700-800 online with low miles. just search the net.

good luck man, keep us posted.

peace- trav

I found a MSP tranny for $650. I will eventually tear the P5 tranny down to see what happned to it.

GOTZOOM? said:
I found a MSP tranny for $650. I will eventually tear the P5 tranny down to see what happned to it.

they are common which is sad because that means ALOT of them are dead. why do people wreck these all the sudden.

where was that tranny from??? if youre not going to buy it i will buy it or if you can swing me in the right way that would be the sheit!!! i wouldnt mind just slapping in a msp tranny...way easier than re-doing mine right now...i think my tranny might be going too...sometimes, usually when i first start driving, theres like a scratching noise coming from that area...it feels like im driving and when the scratching happens it kind of lags the car...dont know what it is but it just happens WHILE im driving, 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd...

it doesnt happen when im shifting, it happens when im already in gear...what the hell could that be?

You might want to review some of the other MSP Tranny swap posts on the board.... its not just a simple bolt in, it requires a bunch of extra parts to work correctly.

turboge said:
You might want to review some of the other MSP Tranny swap posts on the board.... its not just a simple bolt in, it requires a bunch of extra parts to work correctly.

Why, it's the same tranny? Just some pieces inside are different.

What parts?

turboge said:

Your talking about putting a LSD into a Protege 5/ Protege/ MP3 tranny.

There is no difference in just putting the whole MSP tranny into those same cars.

The only difference in a P5/MP3 tranny and the Mazdaspeed tranny is the LSD. Yes, the MSP has larger axles, but the splines are the same. Besides, I have larger axles than the MSP, good for 600 HP. The mounts shouldnt be any different, why would they be, the is no difference in the chassis.

GOTZOOM? said:
The only difference in a P5/MP3 tranny and the Mazdaspeed tranny is the LSD. Yes, the MSP has larger axles, but the splines are the same. Besides, I have larger axles than the MSP, good for 600 HP. The mounts shouldnt be any different, why would they be, the is no difference in the chassis.

i meant bigger, not different, i wouldnt recomend using the stock axles with an LSD from talking with greenmp3 he stated if you go from a auto to msp you have to mod a mount... the auto tranny is huge compared to the manual. thats what i meant. sorry if that was unclear, i thought he was goin from AUTO to manual.

deckedoutmp5 said:
i meant bigger, not different, i wouldnt recomend using the stock axles with an LSD from talking with greenmp3 he stated if you go from a auto to msp you have to mod a mount... the auto tranny is huge compared to the manual. thats what i meant. sorry if that was unclear, i thought he was goin from AUTO to manual.

Oh, ok. I'm just going with a MSP tranny because I broke my P5 tranny, and I wanted a LSD anyway. This way i don't have to install a LSD. Yeah, stock axles suck, just see my thread where I broke those also. But I am now using beefier units made of chrome moly good for 600 HP.

Yeah, if you are putting a 5 speed tranny into an automatic car, you need a whole mess of parts.:D

Latest posts

Back