Brakes Questions???

JMS'sMSP

Contributor
:
2005 RX8
I just installed new Rotors, Steel Brake lines, and Pads on my MSP...

I got them from **********.com and Corksport for the lines...

If anyone has questions about installation of these parts go ahead and ask!

I dont have pics but I did the whole job myself and it was fairly easy.

what tools are needed for the back brakes on an MSP and what are the steps to do this?

The only tools needed are a set of metric wrenches, a 10mm flange wrench, a hammer, a couple dif size flathead screwdrivers, a good set of needle nose pliers, air gun or impact helped alot, basic tools nothing special.

The back brakes were eaiser than the fronts. cause the calipers open up and the pads go in easier. Changing the front pads is a little aggravating...

As for the e-brake, all you have to do is slip a locking clip off with a screwdriver and a hammer and then pull it back and lift if out... There is no adjustment required, It works kind of like a hood release. There is a cable attached to both rear calipers and when you lift the handle it tightens the cable... Pretty simple and easy.

As for having to squeeze the rear caliper in to get the new pads in. I just pushed on the piston and it went in. Now bear in mind I had the line off so there was no pressure on it. But I didnt see how it would have been different if I had pressure on it. There is like a >< design in the rear piston that must be lined up with the peg on the back of the new pads but that is easy when you actually look at it.

Oh yeah It took me and a friend about 3 hours to change Rotors, Pads, and Lines and run to the store to buy some flange wrenches, and bleed the brakes and clutch.

The rear-caliper has a twist type piston. To push it back in you need to twist it, kind of like screwing it back in. I bought a tool a pep-boys that fits into the groove on the piston and attaches to a socket wrench to twist it back in.

The front calipers are the normal push-type, so I can use my normal caliper clamp to push it back.

JMS'sMSP said:
The only tools needed are a set of metric wrenches, a 10mm flange wrench, a hammer, a couple dif size flathead screwdrivers, a good set of needle nose pliers, air gun or impact helped alot, basic tools nothing special.

The back brakes were eaiser than the fronts. cause the calipers open up and the pads go in easier. Changing the front pads is a little aggravating...

As for the e-brake, all you have to do is slip a locking clip off with a screwdriver and a hammer and then pull it back and lift if out... There is no adjustment required, It works kind of like a hood release. There is a cable attached to both rear calipers and when you lift the handle it tightens the cable... Pretty simple and easy.

As for having to squeeze the rear caliper in to get the new pads in. I just pushed on the piston and it went in. Now bear in mind I had the line off so there was no pressure on it. But I didnt see how it would have been different if I had pressure on it. There is like a >< design in the rear piston that must be lined up with the peg on the back of the new pads but that is easy when you actually look at it.

Oh yeah It took me and a friend about 3 hours to change Rotors, Pads, and Lines and run to the store to buy some flange wrenches, and bleed the brakes and clutch.

Latest posts

Back