Brake Caliper is Leaking But Can't Figure Out Where! Gah!!!

PowrSlave

:
Protege5
I recently replaced all my pads and rotors as well as rebuilt the calipers about nine months ago, so this is probably related to that...

I noticed my brake indicator coming on during braking, so I parked the ole' girl and a few hours later noticed brake fluid pooling under the right front tire, so I lifted her up, took the wheel off, and definitely noticed dried up remnants of a brake leak around the caliper area and some residue on the lower control arm and such. I topped off the brake fluid reservoir, started the engine, and pumped the brakes a bunch and nothing was coming out. It also isn't leaking while I am looking at it, so I can't tell if it is the bleeder bolt or the piston seal.

I did a pretty good job rebuilding the calipers with new seals, so if those are already failing and allowing dirt into the system that might be temporarily blocking the leak during my diagnostic, I will be pretty annoying since I can't fix what I can't see. Maybe if I ask nicely the fluid leak will fix itself. That would be nice, but not likely.

Any ideas?

Did you ever figure out what was causing your problem? I had a new caliper installed that still slowly leaked afterwards. Turns out the washer that came with the new kit wasnt soft enough so it wasnt creating a good seal.

Back