BOV/Turkey questions

destineal

Contributor
:
Black Mica #129
I have 2 questions:
1. On the stock smic i have a hard cold pipe. i have it set up smic to bov(vta) to maf to tb. Is this ok?

EDIT:<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cg0WXf0NCz0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cg0WXf0NCz0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. How can i tell the difference between turkey and compressor surge? Also i checked my turbo for shaft play today. Little to none. Not enough to make noise.

EDIT:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pf1K2icMCYU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pf1K2icMCYU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sent from my cheap ass Nokia 5800

Last edited:
Compressor surge is a long drawn out fluttering noise, turkey is a short fluttering noise.

i'll try to record it. My bov is all the way to the right though. Doesn't gimme that bov sound though. be back in a jiff.

The stock bov is a turkey. I would make sure that you have a dedicated vacuum source to the bov, that way it isn't delayed in opening.

Ok the stock bpv is in the trunk, So you are saying this has to be compressor surge?

Well I turned the adjustment screw to the left and from what I can tell its not doing it anymore. Now if anyone can tell me if I'm running the bov correctly in the 1st video. I have a feeling this pos bov is going to be trashed very soon.

It actually sounds a bit weird to me. My car turkeys, but it doesn't sound like that. Weird. That's like in between a really short turkey chirp like mine, and a long drawn out compressor surge.

I turned the bov screw to be on the safe side. Now I just need to figure out how I'm getting no fuel cut in 25F weather. I'm not complaining, but it just seems odd.

That sounds like half opening and half surging imo.

I solved my turkey by tapping into my brake booster vacuum line. Problem solved. It still gobbles under low vacuum. But never after letting off the throttle in boost. I am using a greddy RS if that helps.

I relocated my MAF to just before the throttle body and it made my car very happy and was drivable in cold weather again.
I think this mod gives the ecu a better idea of the air entering the motor.

Would the SSAFC cause P0134 o2 sensor codes, intermittently, if it wanted a better ground? all my connections are professionally soldered by me. :)

Last edited:
No MAF FTW, lol.

BTW I watched the video again, and that is definitely comrpessor surge. Your BOV may not be moving enough air, or you could have a vac line messed up somewhere. (shrug)

Last edited:
I can't pull up your vids on my computer due to restrictions, but from the feed back I am reading, I would take KnoxJoe and my advice about the vacuum source. Compressor surge=turbo failure, no way around it. Good luck bro

@ JamesMSP2003.5 - I would try ohming the connection. Most electronics have quite a bit of tolerance when it comes to their ground, and what a multimeter can read. Generally, a good rule of thumb is- If the connection reads between continuity and say, 3 Ohms or so, it is a reliable connection; as there are many variables that will increase the resistance (Conductor Material, Temperature, Length, etc.). Also, as an info note; In order to reliably ohm a connection, the desired connection must be isolated from a circuit, to diminish the possibility of finding an alternate path to said test point. Electrical systems are sort of my career. :)

@ Destineal - I too am having a similar problem that just started today. It's almost like the blow off valve is not opening. I have an HKS SSQV (VTA) followed by MAF Sensor. I have had this setup for just under a year and have had no prior problems until now. I took off the vacuum line leading to the vacuum port on the blow off valve, removed the cute little filter HKS supplies with a lot of their vacuum oriented products (By the way, these are more difficult to find than you'd think.) and tried running it without the filter that was supplied. It seems as if the surge is acting even worse now. So, right now; I'm hoping for a clogged vacuum line. I would advise in your situation to possibly try the same as far as a clogged vacuum line. Reminder: As far as I know, if there is a problem with your vacuum, you will also have a problem with your boost characteristics as it is a contained system. Primarily because If you took the line directly off the factory by-pass valve, it is directly "T"d into your wastegate line as well. Let me know what you come up with, as I'll do the same.

By the way, my sound is identical, only; mine continues for a few more seconds. ;(

Stats: Factory boost, FMIC, HKS SSQV V3 (The newest, I believe- does not have an adjustment screw).

Edit: Also, have you ensured that the valve opens freely without pneumatic support? I.e.- press on it, and it moves? Some BOV's tolerances around the ported edge of the valve can keep it from moving more freely than designed.

Last edited:
Back