BOV Performance Benefits

If you have purchased a BOV, have you notice an increase in engine performance?

• I have purchased a BOV and have noticed a performance increase.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I have purchased a BOV and have not noticed a performance increase.

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • I have purchased a BOV and have noticed a performance decrease.

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Great responses everyone.

So i am getting the impression that unless i have done enough work to the motor/turbo to produce a higher psi, i do not need to upgrade this?

So i am getting the impression that unless i have done enough work to the motor/turbo to produce a higher psi, i do not need to upgrade this?
not necessarily. depends on how well the system was designed in the first place. while a stock valve shouldn't leak at stock pressures that isn't necessarily true.

yea, I wouldn't trust the stock bpv to handle the speed3's boost levels....upgrading to another bpv may show gains, but that's really really iffy and assuming a lot

I dont think it is presumptuiss at all. I dont log on my DH but have seen boost levels stay more consistent with the Forge than with the Stock. The stock just wont hold the pressure across the RPM range. The Forge does. If your stock isnt leaking than obviously an upgrade isnt doing you any good other than sound. If you can tell it is leaking then it will, cut and dry.

^^^
by assuming a lot meant I don't know anything about the bpv in the speed3 lol, so I was assuming a lot

but yea, if you are able to see the boost levels affected in a positive way then the stocker is definately not able to handle the speed3's boost levels

As some have mentioned, with BOV running VTA you would loose a little power, Would this also happen if you ran something like Turbosmart 50/50, going 50 recirc and 50 vta?

yes, any kind of air you are taking out of the system post the MAF sensor will result in some kind of a powerloss, even a 50/50 setup

this is why rally cars run with no bov/bpv at all, they just replace the turbo when the turbo fails....maximum power over short time periods

Last edited:
It was the third mod I did. Racepipe, CAI, and the BOV. I didn't notice a thing but the diffrent noise which I like. However I got mine used from a member on this forum for $75 shipped so I wasn't exactly breaking the bank and getting nothing for it. I'm happy with what it does.

As some have mentioned, with BOV running VTA you would loose a little power, Would this also happen if you ran something like Turbosmart 50/50, going 50 recirc and 50 vta?
think about it this way. your MAF counts air particles. it knows at any given moment how many pieces of air are in the system. it adjusts fuel accordingly. if you remove some of the air it has no way of knowing how much you've removed so it will not adjust the fuel. so you'll run rich. that means your power will be less.

think about it this way. your MAF counts air particles. it knows at any given moment how many pieces of air are in the system. it adjusts fuel accordingly. if you remove some of the air it has no way of knowing how much you've removed so it will not adjust the fuel. so you'll run rich. that means your power will be less.

exactly

I've seen first hand the difference from VTA to recirc twice now....with dyno proven results

run recirc, don't vent any air off....the only advantage is sound

after i hit full boost, boost slowly drops and drops. by the time it hits 11, 12 lbs its time to shift. does this mean my stock bpv leaks. i'm assuming so.
also this is read of my prosport gauge.

That could be the bpv or it could be the way the stock ecu is tuned since there is gear specific boost control stock

I'm guessing it's the bpv though

Back