BOV/BPV Install help

GhostMercury

:
MazdaSpeed 3 08.5
Well im feeling kind of noobish, cause i bought a greddy type-s and flange. and will be welding it on sometime this weekend hopefully. but past that IM LOST... i need help with a few things like

1. the vac source for it
2. where should i put it hot or cold pipe?
3. what i do with the bpv setup

i have a mbc on there, with the turbohoses hard pipes incase you need that info. i will get some pics up of the engine bay in a couple minutes so i can help you help me better. and no bachin on me there was once a time you didnt know wtf you were doing either

1. you can just use the same source as your boost gauge or just T into the stock bpv line.

2. a bov should ideally be place 6-7" from the throttle body.

I put mine on the hot side pipe right off the turbo because I wanted an obnoxiously loud HKS whistle that made it sound like i was running more boost than i really am.

its really a preference thing.

3. you can keep the stock bpv setup and run a dual set up which would help with stalling issues and driveability but will cause the greddy to be quieter.

how much quieter? and how would i even remove the bpv cause wouldnt there be holes left in there. and what nosal do i hoock the source into. top or bottom one?

and does anybody have the dual setup with turbohoses hard pipes? cause im more of a picture person

the picture I can't help you with, but basically running both a bov and a bpv would the greddy to be quiet under normal driving conditions, you would only really hear it at full boost or when driving with more aggressive throttle.

You would hook the vacuum source into the top of the valve.

there is a way to use both and it supposidly gives the valve better response and helps it close itself faster. which would help cars with stalling problems, but i can't really explain that one right now. brain tired.

i am planing on hooking it up soon and plan on relocating the maf, i cant find the pic that i saw the other day but i'll see if i can locate it. ive heard the exact opposite and would like to know more since i plan on doing it soon. but basically, hook up the flange to the intercooler pipe to trottlebody. leave room to fit the maf between the bov and the trottlebody, this requires probably cutting your hardpipe. then just hook up the bov as the bpv is. im just cerious what is done with the bpv area, assuming just seal that spot between the cai and hotpipe. otherwise to run a duel setup which ive heard can have drastic long term affects but who knows except for those who have tried, basically just leave the maf in place, leave the bpv in place. put your bov ic to tb pipe. hook it up to a vac line near the manifold. http://www.mazdamp3.com/members/505zoom/dsc00530smaller.jpg

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=98234&d=1168156025 okay, this is the duel setup, much better picture. im not really sure, i've heard people completely against the duel setup and saying it causes compression surge and stalling. but ive also seen others who say it works great. but the is the maf relocate to the trottle body pipe http://photos-929.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v47/28/57/504061343/n504061343_7929_784.jpg its the more original way of doing it but would like to hear more info about both. just been researchin bout it since i plan to do it once it starts warmin up, your in eagan, im real close to you, like 30 miles away and my bro lives there. crazy blizard we had on sun, finally got to test the winter beater to its limits

yea the snow sucks but my MSP wasnt to bad..but was far from great..now i just have to figure out how to do this project i bought myself lol

ya just gotta choose a way, i think im gonna relocate the maf, its not too much more work and then im running only one valve, and plus thats just official, also heard the rpms are suppose to drop smoother. its just gonna be dangerous move cuttin those hardpipes. let me know if you figure out anything else important outside this thread. in summer we will run into each other and we shall give each other a curtisy "pssshhh"

GhostMercury said:
bump for some pics and anyone know about the duel setup being bad

Here are some pics of my dual set up but I have a generic greddy type s instead of a HKS. Also please excuse the mess, she is a work in progress but I hope the pics help you out. The dual set up has been nothing but good for me.

dual setups are better than VTA (Vent to atmosphere) after the MAS setups. I've seen nothing but good things from dual setups, aside from the blow off valve being quieter, but it makes up for that with a more unique sound and driveability.

My dual setup looks like this... it is loud when it blows off and runs excellent. I would not recommend any other way and I did not relocate my MAF to the cold side either.

EngineBay-03.jpg

with my turbo hoses pipes it looks as though there is a tube running from the hot pipe to the sri "just going from mental pictures" with the stock bvp in the center..how come your guys pictures look different?

GhostMercury said:
with my turbo hoses pipes it looks as though there is a tube running from the hot pipe to the sri "just going from mental pictures" with the stock bvp in the center..how come your guys pictures look different?

If you look at mine... I cut the recirc tube on the Injen CAI. I elbow off the hot pipe downwards to a Forge BPV that I bought from Forge for a VW and then back into the CAI.

As the original creator of the BOV/BPV setup (who is very rarely on here anymore these days), I am amazed to see how much misinformation is out there about this now.

Hope I can clear up a few things.

Speed_Racer said:
1. you can just use the same source as your boost gauge or just T into the stock bpv line.

No. This is 99% of the time what someone did wrong when they PM me with problems on their install. If you use the same source for the BOV, BPV, and wastegate, the car will not run as well. Instead, use the brake booster line for the BOV and BPV, then run a new untapped hose from the intake manny to the wastegate.

Speed_Racer said:
2. a bov should ideally be place 6-7" from the throttle body.

After more testing, this actually doesn't matter much. In fact, if you put the BOV on the hot pipe and the BPV on the cold pipe, it ends up working a little cleaner in theory.

Speed_Racer said:
its really a preference thing.

That's more like it... set it up however it will be cleanest for your setup and in your mind's eye.

Maxxpwr said:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=98234&d=1168156025 okay, this is the duel setup, much better picture. im not really sure, i've heard people completely against the duel setup and saying it causes compression surge and stalling.

100% wrong... that is exactly what my dual setup CURES... not CAUSES.

Maxxpwr said:
...also heard the rpms are suppose to drop smoother.

Nope... not if the dual setup is installed correctly that is.

Maxxpwr said:
its just gonna be dangerous move cuttin those hardpipes.

You also have to be at least slightly concerned with the longevity of your MAF sensor, considering it wasn't designed to see a boosted airflow.

Speed_Racer said:
dual setups are better than VTA (Vent to atmosphere) after the MAS setups. I've seen nothing but good things from dual setups, aside from the blow off valve being quieter, but it makes up for that with a more unique sound and driveability.

(first)

For a timeline on the progression of the original BOV/BPV setup with several pics, soundclips, and videos, check out the build-up thread in my sig. The setup starts in the October 2003 section, revision #1 is in may of 04, BSC reflex added jan 05, revision #2 march 05.

As always, feel free to IM or PM me with any questions.

Last edited:
i am a noob when it comes to installing s*** but have a good idea on how it work in general terms. so when you posted this..
No. This is 99% of the time what someone did wrong when they PM me with problems on their install. If you use the same source for the BOV, BPV, and wastegate, the car will not run as well. Instead, use the brake booster line for the BOV and BPV, then run a new untapped hose from the intake manny to the wastegate.

idk what to do..because i installed my mbc by the luck of god. and dont know where the lines are coming from. im sorry for all the questions but i dont want to do anything wrong

505zoom said:
and that ladies and gentlemen is why 505 is msp a legend.

I forgot the msp uses the same line for everything, one of the first things i did to my msp was tap a hole in the cold side pipe and run that line for the wastegate alone.

GhostMercury said:
idk what to do..because i installed my mbc by the luck of god. and dont know where the lines are coming from. im sorry for all the questions but i dont want to do anything wrong

that line is coming from the intake manifold, for some reason mazda decided to run the bpv and wastegate actuator on the same line. he just basically said if you decide to run a dual set up use a stronger vacuum source for your bov, ie the brake booster line. im sure someone will chime in with pics.

Back