BOSE sub. Anyone try cuting a hole in the box w/success?

ohioan

:
Ms3, silver gt
BOSEsub1.jpg

So tiny...
BOSEsub2.jpg

I took the sub out of the box and hooked it up to the house stereo and it sounds better w/o the box.

I also found .36 cents in the box. So I'm hoping when I hook it back up in the car, some rattle stops.

But my question is, has anyone tried to modify the BOSE box and had success? When it's in the box, seems to hold back some of the potential of the speaker.

You're already limited by the size as to how how in hz that sub will ever go. It just can't push what a 10 or 12 will be able to.

You're already limited by the size as to how how in hz that sub will ever go. It just can't push what a 10 or 12 will be able to.

This.

Honestly if you're happy with the overall sound and just want a little more bass, splice wires from there to a real sub. That was my first real audio mod to this car, and it was livable until I had funds to get new amps/speakers/etc.

Yeah... Just want to keep stock as possible.

So when you spliced, where was the aftermarket sub placed, what size and did you like it better then stock?

I'm going to shop around for a new amp. I plugged the sub back in and can barely hear it. I think the amp is just so low power it makes the sub weak. I took the amp apart to see if you can adjust it in anyway, that's a big no.

So, now I wonder... has anyone kept the stock wires and just spliced into them to run an aftermarket amp? Keeping the stock head unit and stock sub...

You can't get any real bass out of a 5" speaker... adding an amp to that is just going to result in either you running a high-pass to your "sub" at 75Hz or higher (???) or getting a LOT of farting noise whenever you hit a bass note.

If space is the issue, get a shallow-mount and put it under one of the seats, or one of those thin truck wedges that won't take up a lot of space in the hatch.

To answer your other question, I originally bought a big 12" square Kicker box of craigslist for like 70 or 80 dollars. It was beat up, but still a hell of a lot better that what the car came with, even off he stock amp.

I didn't need any kind of interface, I just tapped into the existing wires. The stock amp is a 5-channel, so I just ran the subwoofer speaker wires to a different sub. It was better than nothing, though that's not saying a lot. ;)

If you're wanting to stay stock you could always get a stealth box that fits into the jack enclosure.

I took the sub out of the box and hooked it up to the house stereo and it sounds better w/o the box.

But my question is, has anyone tried to modify the BOSE box and had success? When it's in the box, seems to hold back some of the potential of the speaker.

Yes, I have finally finished my setup, I bought the parts right after my basslink got nicked.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-832
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-028
pushing them with a 250watt amp one channel to each driver

the TB sub is sitting in a modded blose enclosure, basically using glue, expanding foam and caulk to retain a pieice of Luan over the existing opening and mounting the TB to that used the stock wiring (again) so I had no need to run wire under the hump

The transducer is mounted to a piece of poplar and wedged into the driver seatback. you can feel the lump but not see it. the blose enclosure is in its stock mounts, there is sufficient clearance for the TB driver.
the amp is behind the cap, which is behind the main amp. all being under the driver seat (though actually the small amp is under the rear passenger floor mat)

The sound is quite good, I did a bit of attenuation to the transducer side, the effect was a bit intrusive at first.
the sub itself is not as strong as the basslink, but is very balanced

and I finnally got the "stealth" I was after during my initial install (see "fix for bose, photo essay" in the how to section for the gory details)
Pics can be viewed at

http://cid-2449fd3559ffea8a.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/.WMPhotos/bose mods

I have had no luck uploading a pic since the vbulletin "upgrade"

Last edited:
Back