Blowing computers

lcharliew

:
2002 Mazda Protege 2.0
I have a 2002 Protg with a 2.0. Blew a computer September 1st, blew another November 18th and another February 2nd.
Second one was under warranty, this one should be to but need to know why I keep blowing computers. Don't drive this car much but need to keep it running.
Any ideas or anyone experience anything like this?

Don't recall the first computer blowing but I know that on the second and third ones that it was a rainy day. Could this be a factor?

Blew another computer April 20th. That's the last straw. Only 126,000 miles on it, going to the salvage yard

My first guess is that there is an unprotected short that is causing your ECU to fail. Before junking your car, you might want to take it to a good Auto-Electric shop. Their specialty is tough-to-find electrical gremlins. Dealerships often send over vehicles that they themselves cannot fix.

I've used Auto-Electric shops a few times over the years and each one found the problem within a few hours.

After 8 months and 4 ECM's it was finally diagnosed. There is a drain from the sunroof to the passenger side quarter panel. If that drain gets plugged near the bottom then water can get into the ECM and kill it.
I wish I'd learned this before I gave up and sold it for scrap. Interior was in perfect condition and exterior was real good for it's age

Yikes that would be a pain in the butt to learn after the fact. Thanks for the insight and a possible place to look on this car I'm about to pick up. Don't think it had a sunroof but never hurts to check.

Latest posts

Back