bleeding the clutch

woot woot

:
Mazda 2
Hey I bleed my clutch line a few times now and it seems to go spongey in a week or so after. I would push the clutch and then open the nipple then close it when fluid stops. The clutch does not come back up though. So I force it back up then repeat. Is this right or am I doing something wrong?

That's correct. Peel back the rubber dust boot on the slave cylinder to see if fluid is weeping through the seal. Should be dry.

Thanks i read your brake bleeding thread to do the brakes and they are great. Not sure why the clutch keeps loosing feel. Should the reservoir be open when i bleed it or closed?

Chances are that your slave cylinder might have gone bad and is leaking out the fluid

Most likely this. Possibly clutch master too but the slave is in a worse environment and is more prone to failure.

Thanks i read your brake bleeding thread to do the brakes and they are great. Not sure why the clutch keeps loosing feel. Should the reservoir be open when i bleed it or closed?

Open but it technically shouldn't matter.

Does the pedal feel good for a while then slowly get worse? This generally is due to a leak. Did you peel back the dust boot to check?

Use a thin rubber/nitrite glove to check if you find fluid, it's for sure brake fluid if it swells and shrivels up when touched.

Edit: are you fully closing the bleeder while the helper let's up? I recall the bleeder being weird in that it takes a turn or two to go from open to closed and it may be sucking air in if its not fully sealed while pulling the pedal back upwards.

Last edited:
Back