Blacked out my emblems! (pics)

Bloke

fd45f58e.jpg

more pic's here:
http://forum.protegemp3.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7508
cheers
Bloke

emblems

yep, i was planning on removing them, but i bought the paint just in case they were the plug style, i now like the stealth look of the black emblems on the black exterior.
cheers

LOVE the look of the black on black. I'm going to paint mine, since my car is the black mica also. Did you use a blow dryer to help heat the adhesive when you removed the badges??

i actually simply left the car out in direct sunlight. after an hour or so it was pretty easy to remove. i put some masking tape under the emblems, then using a plastic spatular i eased them off.
cheers
bloke

"M"

NO! You dont have to remove the grill. I was actually outside the other day trying to figure out how to get it off. The siver "M" is simply attached to the black plastic by double-sided tape. Just use something very thin to ease behind it and gently pry up on it. Once you have it lifted a little bit you could use fishing string or dental floss to slide behin it and move it back and forth like a see-saw to cut through the tape..Hope this helps...

removing emblems

the oldest trick in the book is to use heat the emblem with a hair dryer and then use dental floss in a "sawing motion" behind the emblem to pop it off. any residue can be removed with "goo-gone" or other similar product

i like that bloke...i think i might try a different color lol..just to see what it looks like..can always spray it back to black right? hehe...
but man..you do need to lower your car..it looks like an SUV when i compare it to mine :D

Really works well with the black! How did you reattach the emblem, though? Just more double sided tape?

Foggy

what kind of paint?

What I mean is what kind Regular Ol Black Paint In a Sparay Can?
Or somethin more fancy?

emblems

sorry for the delay in posting, been away!

regarding the paint, it was semi-gloss (or satin) plastic bumper paint. it was in a spray can. i used this paint as it was very durible & had a glaze or clear coat mixed in with it. i'll read the can tonight and post the exact brand, name etc.

all i did was leave the car in direct sun light for a couple of hours, (didn't have a heat gun or hair dryer) mask under the emblems, and pry them off easily using a plastic spatular. (you could use a flat butter knife if you wrapped it in masking tape)
i used steal wool to cause a very slight abrasion on the surface of the chrome emblems, then gave them about 4 coats of the bumper paint. they re-attach using a peg & grommet type fixment. i also used a little clear silicon (sp) adhesive.

regarding the "Protege5" badge i carefully masked off the "5" part before spraying. it was a little labor intensive, using a craft knife to cut to size, but it think the result was worth it. the contrast of the red "5" looks great against the black emblems & black exterior paint.

i recently did the same thing to a friend with the a silver RSX type S, we used a Gunmetal or satin gray golor paint, this color combination looked great!!

hope this helped & many thanks for the comments.

cheers
Bloke

Back