Bilsteins Arrived!

yeah i def practice safety first, but you dont need to really get under it to change it out. A good tip would be to do the rears at the sametime with a buddy since its a torsion beam.

It kind of looks like a M2, only lower....... I'll take a couple photos.

I no longer tower over Mini's..... sigh....

"A good tip would be to do the rears at the sametime with a buddy" and miss out on all the fun rolling back and forth on the asphalt?

I need to get a new, lower floor jack now. Can't get under to change the oil. Can't get my ramps under it either. I had thought about the jack. Didn't think about the ramps being too tall.

There are also a couple rattles I have to figure out and fix. I think that its the spring adjusters in the rear being loose. They may need some filler material like inner tube pieces.

John

Last edited:
I'll try and get a couple shots tomorrow if it isn't raining......... again........

I let a friend drive it. He has a warmed over Integra GSR. His comment was "H*ly Sh*t!!!!!!"

I added updates to Post 11. A couple are critical.

Still have to do the rubber in the rear spring adjusters as there is a little clicking noise, in the rear, as the car changes attitude.

Changed the oil using the OEM car jack. Note to self: Get ramp extensions or low race car jack from Horrible Fright.

MRAY: I also have a '71 240 Z. Original owner!!!!!

More to come.

John

Last edited:
But, Wait! There's more............

DSCN0045 (640x479).jpg

DSCN0044 (640x480) (615x349).jpg

DSCN0043 (640x480).jpg

DSCN0046 (640x480).jpg

Not the best shots, but you'll get the idea.

I have a Ford Fiesta front sway bar to go on and I have tubing to make a rear bar. Now all I need is time. This job thing gets in the way......<LOL>

John

THANKS! I am surprised that the Bilstein are able to go that low. And, judging by your pics, you can still go lower. Wow!

I'm not sure I'd actually want to go much lower, although I may drop the back a bit.

It'll probably go over an inch lower, but it scares the pooh out of squirrels and chipmunks now.........

John

You installed it only for better look only or you want the car to really have better handling?
Incase you want the second, before you further lower the car drive it and test it to see if it has the balance you want.
In case you want it more oversteery you may have to raise the rear a bit(since the bilsteins can't preload the spring without changin ride height and travel).
In case you want it more understeery you can lower the rear.

In any case,try to have sufficient travel in order not to hit the bump stops while cornering because this would be dangerous.
Also you may now consider buying adjustable endlinks.
Good job installing the bilsteins,but the most dificult part it to set them up corectly!Good luck and have fun!!

yeah id say my height is about the same as yours. i have about a finger gap up front and 1 and a half in the rear, and how odd that we both have bilsteins on our m2's and we both have 240z's. except im not the original owner lol. guess we have a lot in common. after i got my alignment done my god its soooo smoooth. im just waiting to see if i want the racing beat sway or the corksport torsion bar. then ill get tires and im set but i def want a wider rim in the future.

Hi Guys,

VDS, thanks for the input. I put the suspension on for better handling and it is much improved and much more neutral. I’m still getting a feeling for the change and how it handles. I think I may have to correct some ‘bad old habits’ in making the rear break free as I no longer have to do that.

Good thought on the endlinks. I have some 3/8ths rod ends kicking around here somewhere. I can make them adjustable and a bit shorter to match the ride drop.

Mray, haven’t had a chance to do an alignment yet. I’ll string the car as soon as I have a chance.

Careful on the rear sway bars. I think that the Racing Beat rear bar without a larger than stock front bar might be too much. I believe that their rear bar is to match their 25 mm front bar (IIRC our front OEM bar is 18 mm).

I have a Ford Fiesta 22 mm front bar and the steel to make a rear bar. We’ll see how that goes.

I ‘think’ that the Corksport rear bar is more to match up with the stock front bar. Just a bit stiffer to balance the car.

Thanks.
John

Great post. Thanks! Now, tell me more about handling differences! How is the car handling on bad roads? I think that the 2 is ideal for a rally suspension set-up for a DD. Not lowered much but handling better at higher speeds on crappy roads. I guess I mean higher spring rates coupled with dampers that do not shock the tires and that provide confidence in turns over bumpy terrain. My idea of the ultimate 2!
Maybe this year I can visit Team O'Neil and their Fiestas: http://www.teamoneil.com/
:)

The first thing I noticed is that everyone seems to be driving slower around corners.<LOL> I followed a Boring Motor Wehicle around a sweeper today and was surprised how slow it was going.

The ride is slightly stiffer but not bad unless its a really "choppy" road (think lots of frost heaves). Not too bad otherwise.

I find the M2 to be better balanced than before-less understeer. Its also much smoother through a sweeping corner as the car takes a set and stays there. It isn't as jittery and you don't have to make as many little corrections. Overall adhesion seems to have increased. Where the car felt on edge at 45, it now hits 50 before "concerns" kick in. It rewards smoothness but will respond to quick corrections.

While there is less body roll, there is still more than I'd like so sway bars are next.

I'll have to get my wife to take it for a spin and see what she thinks. She liked her Civic with the Aem CAI and advanced timing. And, she still misses her Datsun B-210 with the modded motor (dual 1.5" SU carbs, velocity stacks, headers, exhaust, lowered stiffer suspension and a little leather steering wheel). That little sucker would REVVVVVVVV. Without a limited slip it still put down 32 feet of rubber-both tires- on Corvair rims with sticky 185/70-13's-- that involved one very embarrassed Celica driver<LOL>) .

John

Last edited:
Back