Best way to secure subwoofer in trunk??

:
03 Mazda 6
Just installed a sub in my '03 M6 sedan and need to know whats the best way to secure it from moving.
It would be great to be able to use a couple 'L' brackets to mount it to the floor but obviously I'm afaid of drilling into the gas tank. That would not be a goood thing.
Any pointers?

What I did was use 1x1 cleats that surround the enclosure and are mounted to the panel which the box sits on. I used 1 foot sections on 3 sides (back, right side and front) and have the box against the left side panel.

How big is your box?
Where does it sit?

Can you just pop up a picture? that would help to determine what you should do.

Thanks for the replies. Box is about 2' wide X 1' high X 14" deep. It sits up against the back of the rear seats in the truck.
Haven't thought about velcro, will have to look into that option. My thought was to try and secure it with metal brackets somehow.
Any pics as to how you secured it with velcro?

Not really, it has a hard backing that will keep it in place. Try it out, if it doesn't work then the metal bracket approach works fine too. Just make sure you don't drill into the gas tank.

Velcro just is adhesive on the backside? Would you do anything else to make it for sure stick? like perhaps some staples or something chyuler?

Not really, it has a hard backing that will keep it in place. Try it out, if it doesn't work then the metal bracket approach works fine too. Just make sure you don't drill into the gas tank.

Not sure if the carpet is the same in the '06 as in the '03, but it really doesn't have any backing, it's pretty thin material. The carpet is only held in place by the back edge being glued to a strip of styrofoam which fits down into a channel. The rest of the carpet is just loose.
Is the '06 carpet the same? Or is it more substantial.
I really like the velcro idea though.

Ok yeah, its different. The 06 model it is glued to a cardboard-like surface which comes out as a solid piece to reveal the spare tire.

OK. well thanks for the input. Velcro sounded to good to be true.
Guess its metal bracket time. :)

Anyone know if there is some space between the top of the fuel tank and the floor of the trunk? Maybe an inch or a half inch of space?
Or does the tank sit right up against the trunk floor.

Anyone know if there is some space between the top of the fuel tank and the floor of the trunk? Maybe an inch or a half inch of space?
Or does the tank sit right up against the trunk floor.

The tank is on the right side under the rear seat.

What I did was use (painted) wood 1x1 cleats a foot long that are bolted to the carpet and underlayment board. Put the box in where you want it, use a sharpie or other marker to mark the carpet, remove the board, lay down the cleats against the marks, drill your holes through the board and cleats, bolt them down, reinstall the board and place the sub box in between the cleats. It makes it easy to remove the box and keeps it from sliding around.

I have an '03, it does not have any underlayment that the carpet is attached to. The carpet is a flimsy piece of material that lays on top of the trunk floor.
If the carpet had an underlayment board then the velcro suggestion would probably work.
Is there no part of the gas tank under the rear of the trunk on the drivers side? Thats the side where the box will be mounted.

I have an '03, it does not have any underlayment that the carpet is attached to. The carpet is a flimsy piece of material that lays on top of the trunk floor.
If the carpet had an underlayment board then the velcro suggestion would probably work.
Is there no part of the gas tank under the rear of the trunk on the drivers side? Thats the side where the box will be mounted.

The gas tank is near the filler door, and on the same side as it is. On my car it is on the right, and should be on the same side on the 6 as well.

One thing to be cautious of is the evap system and its hoses/valves. Drilling through the trunk may lead to drilling through the evap canister or any hoses, which I don't recommend you do.

I am surprised that the carpet is not glued to a hard board in the middle.

Yep, no hardboard at all. I don't want to drill through anything, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew if there was an inch of deadspace between the top of the tank and the floor of the trunk.

Yep, no hardboard at all. I don't want to drill through anything, that's why I was wondering if anyone knew if there was an inch of deadspace between the top of the tank and the floor of the trunk.

Without actually putting the car on the lift and looking where things are I could not tell you. I have seen the 06 models, but not the earlier models so things may be different. The tank is maybe 1/2 inch below the floorpan under the seat.

My suggestion is to get some thin hardboard and cut a paper template and use that as your pattern to cut the hardboard. Glue the carpet to that after painting it top and bottom and do it that way. I hate to drill holes in trunks because water will come up from under the car and soak things.

Back