Best gear oil? (Manny tranny)

brokenpath

:
2002 mazda protege 5
Hey guys, I'm about to do a fluid flush/change on my manual transmission and was wondering which type of oil you guys felt was the best for this?

People recommend GM synchromesh, I flushed mine with 2 qts. Mobil 1 75-90 and 1 qt. of Lucas (oil stabilizer I believe), can't remember the exact name of it but it comes in 1 qt. bottles, I got mine at walmart.

Thanks man. Yeah walmart for fluids FTW.

I went into pep boys once to get a single quart of mobil1 and it was 8.50.

I thought my oil change was going to cost me $30-50.

I went to wal mart and found a full 5 quart jug for 24.95!!!

Many guys (including me) love and highly recommend redline MT-90. You'll pay more for a premium gear oil, but you hardly ever change it and it plays a vital role, so why not spend more?

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm going to read the reviews on those 3 oils and see which one comes out on top!

So we need 3 quarts in the transmission?

Yes you need 2.9qt of 75W-90 according to manufacturer specs. One thing I found when looking into them is that our cars call for a GL4 spec gear oil. The stuff you find most on the shelves is GL5 oil which has a sulfur based additive which, I have been told, can eat some of the internals in out gear boxes. Personally i swapped to the Royal Purple oil. Not cheap (about 20$ a quart) but the reviews Ive read place it as being one of the best. Goodluck on your swap.

Found this info comparing several.

This site works as of 11/17/11

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/brochures/g2457_gearlube_study.pdf

The study is paid for by Amsoil, but it does give decent info on many

My vote is for the GM Synchro, replaced first with Mobil one and felt ok then upshifted at over 4000-4500 from second into third couldnt be completed without "grouching" "grinding" (cant spell) into gear. Replaced within 50 miles to GM and it now is sweet! I truely believe the mobil one is too slippery for this box not that I am an expert!

well thats discouraging . . . . prob wouldnt have gotten the royal purple seeing as there tests basically say its overpriced crap :( looks like either Amsoil (though its funny they are the guys who paid for the test and it did the best) or Mobile 1 next time around :)

I truely believe the mobil one is too slippery for this box

That's what she said!

Really though, thanks for the feedback after reading the reviews I was going to go with mobil 1 because of the price vs. performance but that's the entire reason i'm changing it, is it's starting to act a little funny and the second to third shift once in a great while i can feel a small grind. (Nothing serious)

I'm now going to go with GM Synchro, AMSOIL, or Redline MT-90. Possibly the penzoill lol. Maybe i'll do amsoil so I can post a good review on it.

I am leaning towards the Amsoil. My grandfather put that stuff in all of his farm equipment and cars and trucks. The Subaru they drove got well over 300k miles. So I will probably flush with a cheaper one (Mobile1) then finish with the Amsoil.

Back