Battery

sundog48

:
Mazda CX-5, 2014
Any ideas on what car battery will fit a 2014 CX-5 Touring? Can find no direct replacement other than dealer. Thanks.

12V-60Ah/20HR or 12V-65Ah/20HR according to the 2015 and 2016 manuals

I checked Walmart's comparable battery and came to the conclusion that I think I'd stick to OEM. We still have the original battery from Spring 2012 in our 2013 CX-5. We live in the middle of the desert!!! which is brutal on batteries.

I think what helps is that the 2.0 engine has plenty of open space in the engine compartment, is a cooler running engine than my 2.5 in the Mazda6, is a white colored vehicle, and the engine is on a higher chassis off from the hot pavement. I've been quoted $127 for a new battery installed at the dealership. Just waiting for the original to die.

Optima yellow top forgot which form factor ( i think they call it group ). Whichever one is the cx5.

While there may be non-Mazda batteries, I went to 3 local auto parts stores and none carried it. I ended up at the dealer.

Batteries and store help can be a odd combination. They think if it isn't in the book then they can't sell it to you. I have had to argue to get them to let me buy the battery. It is to big, your car will never charge it!

Bottom line, if it fits and it is 12 volt it will work.

I've always bought batteries with 3 year full warranties (not pro-rated) vs the more common 2 year. It suggests better construction...

Weird that this thread pops up.

I took a trip with the better half a couple days ago and noticed that on starting, there was more and slower cranking than I liked with winter coming up. Battery time!
Went to Interstate's (I figured they would be a fairly reliable fitment source) application guide and had to punch in 2014 to get the CX 5 to show up and they listed Group 35 as the size to get, so, I went to Wally World and got one. Installed it just awhile ago.
Precision fit? No. The upper rim makes a tight fit for the housing, the vent caps and handle are kind of in the way of the NEG terminal, but it IS a very good fit! These small dribbles may be the reason that not even Wal-Mart listed the CX 5 in their battery replacement database.

PS: The cranking is much faster!!

Proof is in the pudding...

battery.jpg

Follow up: Have changed the battery, an Optima Yellow Top #8040 is a direct replacement after adding a 1" spacer to the bottom of the battery tray. The heat shield fits with about 1 1/2" trimmed off of the top. Now good to go!

A group 35 battery is what is needed for the CX-5 2.5L. The everstart Maxx from walmart is a decent battery, on par with the interstate batteries, both are manufactured by Johnson Controls Power Solutions. Walmarts battery data base is not complete and doesn't even list a CX-5 model for the 2015 model year, but they still list a CX-7, weird. Anyhow just search for everstart 35 and you'll find it. Or anyother place that sells batteries should have a group 35 battery.

I can't say for certain, but it's possible that Johnson Controls also manufactures the OEM batteries for Mazda. My wife works for JCI and they have an agreement with Mazda for special pricing on their cars. JCI manufactures a good majority of OEM and aftermarket batteries. You've probably never heard of Johnson Controls but their brands are very popular, interstate, EverStart, duralast, ect

Last edited:
Now I know why the password to root access into Infotainment is JCI.... I wonder....:)

The OEM from the wife's 2013 is a Panasonic. The battery is still good, just down a tad, so I took the nearly shot battery out of my beater car and used it for the core charge at Wally World and put the Panasonic in the beater. Turns out that all three of our personal vehicles use the group 35. Very convenient!

Back