Battery for 2009 CX-9

tstex

Hello to all,

My 2009 has 60K on it and I did an oil change today and the dealer stated the battery test showed it was starting to loose some Amps. They quoted me $179 to replace the battery that is currently in the car. The last time I bought a battery for one of my cars, it was $89.

So, does anyone have the spec's on what the CCA and CA needs to be and a good make/model of battery? Obviously I will measure the L x W x H to make sure the new battery fits properly.

FInally, when the power is removed from the car, is there anything I will need to do special other than reprogram 18 diff radio stations? this time I am going to write them all down an in the correct order. :)

Thanks for your help and I hope everyone and their families are all doing well.

Regards,
tstex

Typically for something like a battery change on a car this new, it should retain the radio presets unless you're leaving it disconnected for days. My 2012 owners manual has a battery part # of 12V-55AH/5HR. Looks like 585CCA. Your needs will vary depend on where you live and if you store the car outdoors in subzero temp's.

Here is one recommendation -

http://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...a/CX--9/2008-to-2012-V6-3-dot7L-585CCA/1.aspx

If you go to AutoZone or a similar place they usually have a few to choose from and will swap it out for you as part of your purchase. Plus they will test your charging system for free first to make sure it's not something else going bad like the alternator.

good luck!

My 2010 battery showed bad tonight. I went to OReilly ironically to pick up a battery for my other car. I got in the CX9 and found it didn't start as it normally does. Had them check out the battery, sure enough! It needs to be replaced also. Priced checked a Optima and almost fainted...$190 or so. The Yellow Top is $220.00. Excide I think was $120.00. I have always been a Diehard or Optima fan but open to see what others comment on here.

as a car audio shop owner, my personnal recommendation is odyssey or optima yellow tops. also if you leave the vehicle running (or the cables hooked up to a charger) you can change the battery without losing any saved info

Thanks for the information guys - I will post back to whatever I do with pricing and all...on saving the info and how, i think I will turn the car off while I pull the battery...I am also a fan of turning the breaker off before I change a 110 outlet...I know there are some electricians that can work with the power still on, but I have 2 daughters that need money all the time...now if only I could get the wife interested in electical issues (dance)

Thx, tstex

Battery spec is 585 CCA (at least) + Group Size 24F (very popular size).
Found a cheap battery below $90 at Walmart.
Probably even cheaper at Costco.

Battery spec is 585 CCA (at least) + Group Size 24F (very popular size).
Found a cheap battery below $90 at Walmart.
Probably even cheaper at Costco.

^^^that.

I'm all about a Walmart battery for less than $100 that will give me 3+ good years of use, instead of spending big money on the supposed "best" batteries that might last a year or so longer than a walmart battery. I've always replaced my car batteries with walmart/costco/sam's batteries and have had no issues. I've got almost 2 years on my $80 walmart battery in my other vehicle, and no issues so far. I put a lot of strain on it too, since I've got some current drawing stuff on it :) For something like a CX-9 that doesn't have anything extra hooked up to draw more current, I'd say a cheapy battery is just fine...but I'm a cheap bastard too.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...24F|Mazda_CX-9|2008_Standard+Battery_V6/3.7L)
I just put this battery in my CX-9 last night. I was a little shocked that my factory battery only lasted 4.5 years (production date of my 9 is may 08) After putting in my Homelink mirror yesterday, the main battery went dead, it had been starting very slow lately.
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus is the bomb!! 1000 cranking amps, 800 cca! Overkill I know.

ibs_MTP-24F_front.jpg

I just had the battery replaced a few weeks back.
$109 (tax included, I think?!) installed with Interstate at Wheel Works. They offered me two choices. Size 24F and 34F. Both fit the bay.
The latter has slightly higher CCA, and same price. I went with the 34F, of course.

Yes. the first sign of need to replace is slower start (more cranking and slower).
I couldn't tell until I had the new one installed. The difference is quite obvious.

Last edited:
I had to shell out 164.00 after tax for my Mega-Tron Plus, and that was putting it in myself. But it was the only place in town that had it. (Well the first place I went wanted 140 for one they had in stock, but it had metal shavings all over it and one terminal was all ground out...they tried to sell me a used battery)

I had to shell out 164.00 after tax for my Mega-Tron Plus, and that was putting it in myself. But it was the only place in town that had it. (Well the first place I went wanted 140 for one they had in stock, but it had metal shavings all over it and one terminal was all ground out...they tried to sell me a used battery)

Based on what I understand, Prius' battery is special because it needs to start the engine more often than those on vehicles with normal gas engines.
I had mine replaced at a Toyota dealer for $250 (lowest price I found).
According to Toyota, it lasts longer than normal batteries also. Mine lasted 6 years when I decided it was too ricky to keep going with it.

Last edited:
I wonder how much the high voltage battery costs? I hear they have a 10 year warranty but that they deny warranties all the time for various reasons.

You meant the "traction battery", the big one in the trunk?
Officially, it costs from $2500 to $3000 from Toyota.
However, I would go for an used one from junk yards for $500.

I found this thread and i know its kinda old, but the info is good. has anybody gotten a battery from places that refurbished them? I actually bought a dry cell like the optima yellow top for a 2nd battery since i have a huge sound system and it only cost me $26, im just putting it out there that there are places that refurbished batteries and can be had for very cheap price. they also do warranty the battery.

I found this thread and i know its kinda old, but the info is good. has anybody gotten a battery from places that refurbished them? I actually bought a dry cell like the optima yellow top for a 2nd battery since i have a huge sound system and it only cost me $26, im just putting it out there that there are places that refurbished batteries and can be had for very cheap price. they also do warranty the battery.

I'm not technically savvy when it comes to auto repair, but a battery is NOT an item that I'd purchase "refurbished" personally.

If the battery holds charge what else is there? its either going to work or not. There is really nothing more to it in batteries and for the price you can get a much better battery for a lot less

I know this is an old topic, but in case anyone searches again... Costco has the cheapest batteries I've found and they are good batteries. They also come with a 3-year money back guarantee, and a much longer pro-rated warranty after that, I think 8 years total.

You get what you pay for. When it comes to being able to start your car, in my opinion, no expense should be spared. Other parts sure, but this is one item that should not be subpar. Interstate Megatron Plus for me. Again, just my rational, my opinion.

Last edited:
It's not been my experience that Costco is known for selling "subpar" anything. A 3-year money back guarantee and 8 year warranty tells me they stand behind their product as well.

Back