Backup Camera Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beg to differ here.
I have side mirrors for that.
Never thought I would disagree with CERIC. He's always spot on.

But my 2012 side mirrors are useless for parking. Particularly the passenger side. Warped images and you can't see the parking stripes on the ground.

Let's be honest. This car has serious blind spots.

to the op, like I said on another post MY12 doesnt come with this lines because Mazda going backwards (all other manufacturer updates their camera with the line guides, while Mazda downgrade with no lines)

and regarding the comment "being driving for xx number of years without rear camera and I never have any problem" its the same with "been driving for xx number of years without airbag and I never have any problem". Its not about "you will rear end something now if you dont have rear camera" but more like "the rear camera will help you more to avoid hitting something in the future"

Last edited:
Just purchased 2012 Grand Touring CX9. Backup camera does NOT have colored grid lines on screen like all previous models. Mazda dealership is aware and says they get called a lot on it .They directed me to Mazda Customer Support that basically says they know it is a problem with the camera but no recall is coming. They also told me the 2012 camera was cheaper due to less features (grid lines) and it was a cost reduction decision. Using the camera without the grid lines is a big pain. They told me I could buy a 2011 camera and have it installed for $800+ and it would have the lines. Yea right! The more complaints we can send in could help with a recall.

A recall?? its a "feature" that Mazda has decided to cut. I don't have any lines on my 08 backup cam. Only time I use it is backing out of our garage to make sure I'm not gonna back over any kids or toys. I've used it in D.C. to parallel park and could see when I was about to back into a car, just by looking at my bumper and that car's bumper in back of me on the camera.

They are not going to issue a TSB because it is a feature they cut. Just like how they don't have red lights in all the window switches anymore, there is no recall or tsb, its just a feature cut.

They only issue recalls on something that could cause the vehicle to catch fire or crash. The industry does not currently consider lines vs no lines on a backup cam a safety issue, as backup cameras are not even currently mandatory equipment. Stability control is now mandatory on all cars in the U.S. in 2012, but backup cam is not (yet).

I have seen an overlay that you can put on your nav screen while backing. Those would also be pretty easy to make.

Thanks for your input. Well this is my first Mazda and buying the top of the line I would expect the feature. All other brands of cars I have had, had the image on the screen. And if you have ever had the image, backing up is much easier. Really, is there that much savings between the two camera styles!!? Oh, one other thing, if you have a real curvy driveway it does help!

Never thought I would disagree with CERIC. He's always spot on.

But my 2012 side mirrors are useless for parking. Particularly the passenger side. Warped images and you can't see the parking stripes on the ground.

Let's be honest. This car has serious blind spots.

It is OK to disagree. Sometimes, I disagree with myself... :cool:

Will the auto-tilt down side mirrors help?
I had that on my old BMW. It moved so slowly. I always turned it off....

Last edited:
8-J

I've tried stopping traffic, in order to adjust the mirrors manually, before backing in. I didn't make any friends.

Bringing a co-pilot with me works best so far. ;-J

I've been driving for 27 years. I've never had a car with a backup camera, and I've never backed into anything. What am I doing wrong? :)

I wouldn't have a car without one. It's a safety feature and a convenience feature. If a friend of my family's had one, when their kid ran out behind the car before they backed out of their driveway they would have seen him. They wouldn't have ran him over. The kid spent a month in the hospital with severe injuries and finally died. Last I checked, his parents are still in therapy. They said they won't be great, but at least they'll be "OK"

In many countries a downward facing mirror mounted on the rear of an SUV or a camera is required as these accidents are incredibly common. I think the cameras should be mandatory in the US. There's too many lives lost due to a 3 to 5 foot blind spot that can so easily be removed.

Anyone thought of installing an aftermarket camera? I've seen them on eBay for cheap. I believe the lines (since they don't move) may be integrated into the camera itself. We have a 2012 CX-9 GT and I have to say, it isn't as easy to use without the lines. The Honduh Pilot actually had a few cameras to choose from which I thought was cool. The had a standard, wide-angle and top-down view for backing up to a trailer hitch.

I thought a back up camera was silly until I had one. It really can be helpful. Even more so if I had the darn lines. I might see if a salvage yard has an earlier model CX-9 back up camera to swap in.

There is pending regulation for North america which may require back-up cameras on all vehicles after a certain date. I'm not sure whether sensors to determine distance are part of the requirements.

After some researches, yes, the guiding lines are from camera if the lines do not change with steering angle.
If the lines shift with steering angle, then, an ad hoc device does that instead of the camera alone.

According to the proposed plan, the backview mirror with small display also qualifies.
That proposal has been put in a stay for now.

Just to revive this thread, I was pretty disappointed when I bought my 2012 GT AWD a few days ago and noticed no lines. I was deciding between the Honda Odyssey and the CX-9, and the Honda's NAV/INFO screen is so much more detailed and user friendly. GRanted, the car isn't nearly as fun to drive or look as cool, but still. At the same price point, I wish the Mazda had a bit more...

Just to revive this thread, I was pretty disappointed when I bought my 2012 GT AWD a few days ago and noticed no lines. I was deciding between the Honda Odyssey and the CX-9, and the Honda's NAV/INFO screen is so much more detailed and user friendly. GRanted, the car isn't nearly as fun to drive or look as cool, but still. At the same price point, I wish the Mazda had a bit more...

I also picked up a CPO 2012 GT CX-9 yesterday and it doesnt have those guiding lines for backup camera. The reason dealer gave me was 'due to tsunami in Japan, there was some time where few parts werent available and hence cars from that time dont have backup camera lines'. Now is that a valid reason he gave or it is down to cost cutting? I feel he may be right because when I test drove new CX-9 couple of weeks back, it has the guiding lines.
So has anyone figured out how to get those lines back? :)

I also picked up a CPO 2012 GT CX-9 yesterday and it doesnt have those guiding lines for backup camera. The reason dealer gave me was 'due to tsunami in Japan, there was some time where few parts werent available and hence cars from that time dont have backup camera lines'. Now is that a valid reason he gave or it is down to cost cutting? I feel he may be right because when I test drove new CX-9 couple of weeks back, it has the guiding lines.
So has anyone figured out how to get those lines back? :)

There's no options menu associated with the back up camera. The only way to get them is to buy another car that has the lines.

The explanation you got is the most reasonable I have read. I can't imagine that there is that much of a cost savings removing the lines...

FWIW, the 2012 GT demo we test drove did not have the back-up camera lines. It was manufactured in 2011. The new "off the boat" 2012 GT we ended up buying in August did (have the lines). It was delivered to the dealership in July 2012 so I assume a late spring early summer manufacture date. Bottom line is, from our experience, the early 2012 GT model do not have the lines whereas the later ones do.

My '12 was mfg 11/11, no lines. I was at the dealer last month for an oil change and my salesman and I took a new '12 out to lunch and it had lines. The tsunami/part supply explanation seems to me to be logical. mazda wouldn't stop production for 1 part so it was most likely a workaround.

I'm in regret as well....:(

I just bought a 2012 GT AWD (no nav) and it has the guided lines(4' screen ). But there are just too many little things here and there that makes me dread in regret of purchasing the cx9 over the Highlander. One, homelink doesn't work with my Chamberlain with Security 2.0. Two, bluetooth music streaming doesn't show track info with the iPhone. Three, blindspot monitoring system is a little buggy. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. For a brand new car you would expect everything to work. Am I too picky...am I asking for too much from a new car?

Last edited:
I just bought a 2012 GT AWD (no nav) and it has the guided lines(4' screen ). But there are just too many little things here and there that makes me dread in regret of purchasing the cx9 over the Highlander. One, homelink doesn't work with my Chamberlain with Security 2.0. Two, bluetooth music streaming doesn't show track info with the iPhone. Three, blindspot monitoring system is a little buggy. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. For a brand new car you would expect everything to work. Am I too picky...am I asking for too much from a new car?

Regarding homelink with rolling codes, the homelink instructions clearly tell you how to program it for rolling codes. Mine works with rolling codes great.
Wanting to not only stream bluetooth music to factory equipment, and want it to show track, artist, etc info, that is pretty picky. I'm happy with ipod and 3.5mm cord.
My blindspot system on my 08 works perfectly. It has saved me multiple times from having "near misses."

The Highlander has a 3rd row that only small children can fit in, no adults. Front seats are flat, zero bolster. The instrument panel is plain, boring, dull. No xenon lamps.
Boring vehicle. Sure it might show the track / artist info via bluetooth streaming, but its a lower class vehicle than the cx-9.

Honda Pilot, sure, you could compare, but highlander...nahhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back