B-Spec ECU flash.

Max Archer

:
'12 Mazda 2 Touring 5MT/'87 325IS 2DR 5MT
Word has it that Mazda recently released an ECU flash for B-Spec. Anybody have any info about it?

I am running it actually. The problem is Mazdaspeed officially says these are for racing.

-Derrick

I am running it actually. The problem is Mazdaspeed officially says these are for racing.

-Derrick

The other problem is the rev limiter. Flash raises it, while specs say OE rev limit only. That was one of the recent beefs with the Davis cars in WC. It's an approved part #, but the limiter is outside the spec. WC ruled no penalty because there was confusion.

I think WC was more upset that Mazda didn't specifically tell them they were going to up the rev limiter, but that is my opinion :)

-Derrick

I wonder how it compares to the DT flash. I'm saving whatever pennies my new(to me) Buick winter yacht is not consuming for a CS exhaust and flash come spring and now see I have three options to choose from. Would feel safer running the Mazda flash, unless it's noticeably inferior to the DT or ECUnleashed tunes.

Is there any indication on pricing, and any indication whether this tune is reasonable for daily driving?

Do we know what Mazda raised the limiter to? It might give a better indication than anything a small tuner can do about what redline is really safe to run on our engines.

Is this a dealer flash? Or is it performed by authorized external dealers?

People steal Kias, so a 2 is a pretty big step up.

@Derrick: does the flash disable anything else? Like emissions monitors or OBD port functionality? This is sounding more and more like an option I'd like to pursue, but the crap state I live in is pretty strict with emissions. Worst case I guess I could hunt down a junker ECU and have that flashed, then swap them out when it's time for yearly inspections; although that would just open up the realm of a Megasquirt as then I know it would be much easier to pull power out of the car. Problem would be finding the base tune...hmm...

Meaning ? Forgive my ignorance.

Andres

The 2 has a built in immobilizer that prevents the engine from being started without the right key being inserted into the lock cylinder. Which is why any new keys/fobs need to be "programmed" to your car before they will work. So what Derrick is saying is that with the anti-theft disabled by the ecu flash, your car can be hot wired and stolen.

Back